Sony KV-ES29M31 Power Up Problem

G'Day Everyone, Just after a bit of advice. I have a Sony KV-ES29M31 TV and the other night it just decided to shut down on me. Now when I go to power it up all I hear is a clicking from the inside. I opened the unit up and the constant clicking is coming from a relay RY6601. I had a good look at the tops of all the capacitors and none of them "looked" like they are faulty (meaning that none seem to be bulging at the top). As you can imagine when I purchased this TV it wasn't cheap, is it destined for the bin ? When you press the power button, before the clicking starts you see the screen flicker then go off. I know that these things are almost impossible to diagnose with this limited amount of information but if anyone has heard of a common fault similar to this one on this model it would be appreciated. I took it to a repair facility who was meant to be a Sony repair centre and he first told me it was the power supply and told me he had replaced it. AU$360 later on I get a call telling me that there was more wrong with it as the power supply had fried the processor as well. I had to part with another $AU350 and he still could not get it working. He mentioned to me I should claim it on my insurance and decided to take the unit from him as it didn't seem like he was going to be of any use to me. When I got home and decided to open it up myself, The parts that I was told he had changed were still covered in dust and not one fingerprint in the dust anywhere was evident. It appeared to me that the unit was not even opened. If anyone has any suggestions that may be able to help me I am listening. I am not a full on electronic guru but I have replaced cap's on a few power supplies etc ... and mess around with small electronic projects. I'm keen to give this ago.

Thanks

John

Reply to
labz

Gosh, what a sorrowful tale.

First off, if you're sure you're looking at the right parts, and not seeing any evidence of replacement, start working on getting your money back from that "repair" place!

As for the clicking relay, without a schematic and the knowledge to use it, you could be looking at pretty much a crap shoot if you're considering trying to fix this yourself.

Typically, power supply relays are supposed to cut off power to the rest of the set if they detect anything "wrong" (like missing horizontal or vertical signals, incorrect power supply voltages, etc.), the premise being that the relay will stop the entire set from going up in smoke.

I don't think there is a standard and different models/brands of sets may self-protect for different sets of reasons.

I'd think that, if choosing the crap-shoot route, the higher-stress parts would be first places to look.

Sorry, probably not much help.

Good luck!

Reply to
Mr. Land