Sony KV-32S40 has audio but no picture

I have a Sony KV-32S40, which I purchased in December of 1998. I have not experienced any problems with it until today. I turned the TV on today and everything was working fine as usual. After about 3-5 minutes the screen turned black but I still had audio. I turned the TV off for a couple of minutes and turned it back on. It appeared to be working fine until about 5 minutes later it did the same thing. The screen just turned black. I turned the channels to make sure that it wasn't the channel and turned on a different TV in the house to make sure that it wasn't the cable. I let the TV set all day before I tried turning it on again. After about a minute, the screen started getting a bunch of lines in it and the picture appeared to be shrinking from the bottom of the screen to the top of the screen. Then the screen went black again. I again let the TV set for a little while and tried it again. Now I don't even get a picture when the TV comes on. I still have audio and can even switch channels, but there is no picture. The red light on the front of the TV that says "Standby/Timer" just keeps flashing. I didn't hear any noises when the picture was going out. I talked to a repair shop today and they said that the picture tube is probably bad and that it would cost more to fix it than the TV is worth. I feel that I am a technical person but I have never worked on a TV before. Does anyone know what this sounds like or have any suggestions?

Reply to
BR

Whatever you do, do not take that tv to the "repair shop" that you talked with. There is no way they can determine that the picture tube is bad without doing proper diagnosis. From your description it does NOT sound like a picture tube problem.

You need to take the tv into a reputable and good shop for proper diagnosis and repair. Given the description of the symptoms I would start by checking the vertical circuit for intermittent solder connections or weak capacitors, and then check for other common solder connection problems.

Typical repair if you take the tv into a reputable shop around here varies between $90 and $125 total for 90% of the repairs on that size of tv set.

David

Reply to
David

Reply to
Art

Thanks for the advice!! I took it in to a different shop today. They said it might be a week before the can get to it. I will post what they tell me.

BR

Reply to
BR

Hi BR,

I am having the same exact problem with my kv-32s40, how did you make out and the repair shop.

AC

Reply to
achan

Achan,

I just started experiencing the EXACT same problem on my kv-32s4 today! Wondering if I should take it to the shop - what did anyon find out about the cause of the problem and how to fix it (or the cos to fix it)

--
myblubu
Reply to

If you have the on-screen display, this means that there is high voltage, and maybe proper biasing to all three electron-guns in the CRT. If there is no on-screen display, this means that there may not be high voltage, or there may be a bias or drive problem to the CRT. Also, a common problem with these sets is that a bad CRT will cause the set to have no picture. If there is a video drive failure on all three colour channels, there will also be no picture.

An experienced tech should be able to diagnose the basic cause of this fault in a matter of about 15 to 30 minutes, unless the particular fault is complex.

--
JANA
_____