Sony KV-27EXR25 just clicks, (STRS6301 to "A" or not to "A")

This set clicks, the degausing coil energizes and thats all. Almost every solder joint on the power supply board was cold. The Hor out in circuit does not look shorted. I repaired the solder and the set is still dead. There is an STRS6301 on the power supply board. I have seen a few of these bad over the years and usually just replacing them restores proper operation. However lately I've been reading about the "A" version of this chip as being improved or better. Then again in some forums it seems that its not recommended to replace an original with an "A". Does anyone have any further insight on this? Also not having a schematic, does anyone have a straight forward troubleshooting procedure for this chassis or perhaps a published tip on it that they could possibly share with me? Thanks very much for any assistance you may be able to offer. Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

Reply to
Lenny

I have the same set and i'm getting the same thing. I've never tried t fix a tv but I ordered the STRS6301 b/c i'm too poor to have someone fi it. I'm pretty good with electronics and i've soldered before. Ca anyone give me some pointers on how I should go about this? Preferabl some safety tips, maybe how to discharge the tv? I've had it unplugge for 4 days now but I know that's not nearly long enough. I know i' suppose to keep 1 hand in my pocket at all times while working on it However, i'd really rather not get zapped so i'm trying to be a careful as possible. Any guidance would be great, thanks

--
Moydock
Reply to

Moydock / Lenny: I relace the STRS6301 with the "A" version ALL THE TIME.... not an issue or problem...... but there are lots and lots of different things other than the chip that can cause the symptom you reported but it is your money and time.... and your television. In addition to replacing the chip you should check for cracked solder connections all over the power supply board.... and with your ESR meter check ALL the electrolytics.... check for shorted power diodes on both primary and secondary side of smps ..... also check around the flyback, HOT, and HDr xfmr and resolder suspect connections..... as always, check for shorted HOT.... and there are other various faults unrelated to the power supply that can cause the symptom you are describing. Failure to identify and repair these faults can result in premature failure of the replacement chip. SAFETY TIPS, repair procedures and troubleshooting information are found on the website for this newsgroup at

A MUST READ for the newbie television repair. After reading the repairfaq if you are still not certain how to proceed and do not have the proper test equipment including an ESR meter then you would be best advised to TAKE your television to a service shop for at the very least a repair cost estimate so you can make an intelligent repair decision with facts instead of internet guesses. A knowledgeable tech with the proper skills and test equipment will actually have to perform testing and troubleshooting to determine the exact failure and faults before giving you a firm repair cost estimate.

--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie