Sony KSS240A laser assemblies (heads)

I've got an Arcam Alpha 8 CD player with a somewhat tired laser, the player has started to skip on occasion and checking the RF (eye pattern) shows that the levels are a bit low. Cleaning hasn't improved matters.

I understand that these laser units haven't been made for a number of years but there are many 'clones' available. I've now tried two different replacements and quite honestly they seem to be pretty poor, in both cases the sled rack doesn't 'mesh' at all well with the drive pinion which doesn't inspire much confidence!

In terms of electrical performance the first (labelled as NKS210A) 'sort of' worked but checking the RF showed gross distortion and the player skipped in the presence of the slightest surface damage on the CD. The second (labelled as KSS210A), gave a much better eye pattern (levels 'OK' / clean and undistorted) and plays fine except for two CDs where it has 'issues' (both of these played fine with the original laser assembly!)

Looking on Ebay there are a multitude of different KSS240A lasers for sale at differing prices, are there any known good ones to go for?

I also see some sellers have listings like: 'Laserpickup, Original Sony KSS240A'. Is it possible (likely) that these could be genuine Sony laser assemblies? Is there an easy way to tell a fake from an original?

Any ideas?

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Not sure but you might be able to get them through a place called Asti Magn etics. I don't have their new phone number since they were bought out by EV G. I used to be on their mailing list and I recall seeing a list/cross for C pickups. Thee "magnetics" part is from when they specialized in after mar ket transformers for TVs. Then they went into video heads for a while.

I have no idea of their sources but their products were usually good. The p roblematic ones were not just problematic for them. Certain things are just troublesome it seems.

Reply to
jurb6006

Hi Arfa,

Sorry for the confusion - I did mean 'KSS240' (and NKS240), just a brain fart when typing.

I looks like the Arcam is destined for the great recycling centre then :- ( A bit of a shame as in all other respects it works fine and I'm quite happy with the sound. I didn't 'think' it was that old, but looking at the transport it does have a date stamp of July 1998. As I purchased it from new maybe it hasn't done so badly after all!

In the name of 'sport' I might just contact one of the Ebay sellers that is claiming 'original' KSS240s and specifically ask if it is a real one or not - certainly the picture looks 'right' (The adjustment pots are sealed with yellow paint, and the main flexi socket looks the same as on my original unit)

In the meantime I guess I'll start researching a suitable replacement for the Alpha.

Many thanks again

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Hi,

Thanks for the info - looks like they are based in the US, and from the website I'm not sure they ship to the UK / EU

Oh well

Nick

Reply to
Nick

I have 2 remaining NOS pickups: KSS240A and KSS240ARP. Both were acquired from my Sony parts distributor when I was a Sony repair center. I have ne ver had a problem with parts from that source. I'm n the US and I don't kn ow the shipping cost. but either or both are available.

Let me know if you are interested.

Dan

Reply to
dansabrservices

Nick,

Genuine Sony KSS-240A pick ups have 3 pots on the board, and the optical chip is 14 or 16 pins (I can't remember), where as most of the 'aftermarket' ones have 8 pin IC's. That said, I've had OK luck with some of the 'aftermarket' ones (aka fakes)

Also look at the DAC board in the Alpha 8 at R69. It should be 2k2 (2200 ohms) if it is still the original 10k resistor change it, and maybe Q6 (BC847B) at the same time. This was a factory change because Q6 would get too hot and fail, killing one of the clocks and causing the laser sled to go flying to the outside. It could trash the gear rack in the optical pickup.

Regards, Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

Nick,

Genuine Sony KSS-240A pick ups have 3 pots on the board, and the optical chip is 14 or 16 pins (I can't remember), where as most of the 'aftermarket' ones have 8 pin IC's. That said, I've had OK luck with some of the 'aftermarket' ones (aka fakes)

Also look at the DAC board in the Alpha 8 at R69. It should be 2k2 (2200 ohms) if it is still the original 10k resistor change it, and maybe Q6 (BC847B) at the same time. This was a factory change because Q6 would get too hot and fail, killing one of the clocks and causing the laser sled to go flying to the outside. It could trash the gear rack in the optical pickup.

Regards, Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

2k2

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the heads up on that, something to check when I next have the covers off!

Regards

Nick

Reply to
Nick