Sony KD32DX51 CRT tv colour problems

Hi,

After having a perfect picture from day 1, my 4 year old Sony Wega KD32DX51 CRT tv appears to have suddenly developed a fault.

Sometimes the picture is perfect but on some scenes, about half a second to a second after the scene has changed on screen, the colour suddenly either develops a peachy-pink tone or appears to over-saturate. It depends on what the picture on-screen is. This is also occurring with menus and on all video inputs.

Any advice on what is likely to be wrong, how it can be fixed, and how much a repair is likely to be would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Kroma, UK

Reply to
Kroma

Kroma. You're kidding, right? Your sister is named Luma, no?

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

In what way?

That pretty much leaves out the color demodulator.

"Something" is wrong in (probably) the red amplification, or the red gun of the CRT. You'll have to put a 'scope in the path and see what's fluctuating.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

It's difficult to say but it is certainly worse when the picture is brighter.

Unfortunately I'm not brave enough to rummage inside a CRT tv and risk death. Is this likely to be something that's easily fixed and would it tend to be costly?

Reply to
Kroma

It's almost impossible to be electrocuted -- the HV can't deliver enough current.

Most (but not all) TV repairs are quite simple -- the hard part is figuring out what's wrong.

Most problems cannot be diagnosed at a distance -- even Dr House has to see the patient. If I could tell you exactly what's wrong, while sitting at my computer -- I'd be pulling down big bucks in the service business.

Either find a competent, honest service tech, or buy a new set.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

Personally, I'd guess the latter. Finding service people today is hard, good service people, almost impossible, reasonably priced service people... Well, you get the picture.

If you are unwilling to touch it inside, you are limited in what you can do.

One thing might be to turn it off, unplug it, and let it sit for a few days to allow any charged capacitors to discharge. Then open it and reseat all the connectors you can find (carefully). That may help.

Reply to
PeterD

An hour of diagnosis could be of significant expense. It could be easily fixed if the fault can be consistently reproduced on the service bench and doesn't involve the CRT itself. Ultimately if you have no ability to effect repairs yourself you will need to relegate repair to a professional.

Reply to
Meat Plow

look around your area for an old-school tv repair place. Or see yellow pages. avoid those ads for multiple services, they just pass you thru a call centre and inflate the prices. And take it in, a call out will be a fortune!

-B

Simple problem, and common for Sonys. You have a bad CRT. Internal leakage is a hallmark of recent Sony CRT models.

Reply to
John-Del

Thank you for the advice.

Next question - is it possible for a bad CRT to get better with time? 2 weeks on and the fault isn't nearly as noticeable now, and it's not just because I've got used to it!

Kroma

Reply to
Kroma