Sony DVD player brightness alternates

I have a new Sony DVD player that has done this since the first time it was played. Starts with normal brightness, then slowly goes darker (not black), then back to normal, then bright, and so on. Only does this when playing a DVD (not when displaying menu items). This was a gift from my company, that would be easier to repair or trash than return. Anyone have an idea of what may be causing this and where to start looking for repair? I searched this group and found nothing on this particular model. Thankyou as always group.

Reply to
Golf

You don't by any chance have it hooked up through a VCR or RF modulator, do you? The Macrovision copy protection scheme will cause this exact effect unless the DVD is plugged directly into line inputs on the TV.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Wild guess: You have your DVD player connected to a VCR which is then connected to the TV. Right? If so, then no repair is necessary...you are seeing an artifact of "MACROVISION" an anti-piracy feature of virtually all DVDs and many VHS tapes. Google MACROVISION for the remedy.

Reply to
webpa