Sony CPD-E530 monitor contrast going

I have a CPD-E530 ( 21" flat Trinitron ) where the black has become more of a gray and retrace lines are sometimes visible.

Does anyone know this fault / can recommend a fix ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Have a look here, or google it. Dani.

Pooh Bear wrote:

Reply to
Dani

It is possible that the G2 bias to the tube is a little out of spec due to the wearing out of the high voltage multiplier, or some components biasing the CRT have changed specs over time, or the CRT itself is going weak. Proper verification would have to be done to determine the exact fault. The most common cause is the CRT becoming weak with age.

Jerry G. ======

Pooh Bear wrote:

Reply to
Jerry G.

It won't be an aged CRT. This monitor was new when I bought it and has had quite light use.

Any advice as to who to entrust it to, other than Sony ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

A decrease in the Vsupply to the video drive amplifiers can cause excessive brightness & flyback lines - just a thought!

Reply to
ian field

ian field ha escrito:

you could start by changing the rgb 200v line filter cap. often on crt neckboard or maiboard near the line output transformer. tends to be low value such as 10uF.

-B.

Certainly a valid suggestion, but in my experience with sony displays this usually causes a variation in brightness across the width of the screen.

Reply to
ian field

Did you see my post 'problem fixed' ?

It's working ok still so far. The monitor's hugely better. I just had it @

1600x1200 for example and pin sharp but 1200x1024 looks more usable to me.

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Pooh Bear ha escrito:

Please repost the fix, because the post never arrived to the forum.

Thanks.

Reply to
lsmartino

I posted it as a new thread - but here it is again.........................

Just a followup to anyone interested.

I noticed in the link provided by Dani

that there was mention of using Sony's diagnostic software to setup the monitor ( apparently there are few presets available for adjustment )

This reminded me that when I picked up a older Sony E500 monitor from a computer

brokers a while back that they had mentioned using this. So I gave them a call and asked how they fix E530s. When I mentioned contrast, the guy said there was an item in the standard menu. I took a look and indeed under colour settings there's an option called 'image restoration'. I selected it and lo and behold it

started recalibrating itself ! Result one monitor better than it was when I first got it !

So the additional 21" Sony I got on ebay as a 'safety precaution' for £35 looks

like it's going to be part of a 2 monitor display setup now ! :-)

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear