Sony clock radio ICF-C218 no longer taking time from the air? Any help fixing it?

My SONY clock radio no longer takes the time from the air and instead flashes 12:00 each time it goes on. I have change the Battery (which was dead) and replaced it with a new CR3032, but this doesn't seem to help. Is there a reset button? How can I fix this problem? I have also moved it around the house to see if there is a place with better reception to pick up the signal for the setting of the time, but this doesn't seem to help either.

Thanks

Reply to
daviddschool

Does it say radio time reception ? C221 is conventional , no ULF RF timekeeping

N_Cook

I am not sure what you mean by ULF RF. It is one of those clocks that you plug in and it grabs the time from the air. The aerial is in the power cord (supposedly). Here is the link for the manual:

I have gone through the troubleshooting and no luck. New battery, nothing is working.

on

daviddschool

Hi!

You may try moving the radio to an open location, possibly even somewhat elevated off the ground. It may not be able to "hear" the time frequency it is listening for, possibly due to interference or a signal that just isn't getting to the unit. I have several clocks located in a basement that set themselves from the WWV time signal, and each time the batteries go dead, I actually have to put them outside so they can listen in and sync up.

Since your clock radio has a battery inside, it should keep the time once it has acquired it.

As I'm not sure how much standardization there is concerning this, the radio may not be able to set its clock if you are using it in a country other than the one it was originally purchased in.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I should add that it was working perfectly, but recently stopped working. It used to take the time from the air, no problems at all, now it has stopped doing that and flashed 12:00 all the time.

Reply to
daviddschool

I should add that it was working perfectly, but recently stopped working. It used to take the time from the air, no problems at all, now it has stopped doing that and flashed 12:00 all the time.

Reply to
daviddschool

I would first suspect the new battery if the clock was working, then went to

12:00 with the old battery in it, then only reads 12:00 with the new battery.

What if the source of the time signal was an analog TV station that just went to digital?

I'm back in the dark ages as far as recent technology advances go, but the TV and VCR time signals were being transmitted from PBS stations at one time.

Check to see if you can find out where the signal was supposed to be coming from, maybe. I've heard folks talking about automatically setting clocks that are adjusted to a atomic standard clock, but I haven't investigated where the signals come from for any types of self-correcting clocks.

This would be funny, and typical, that switching to digital TV has left a couple of million clocks without a signal.

The other funny part of the hypothetical situation would be huge number of existing TVs and VCRs that people can't figure out how to manually set the clocks, again.. (deja vu all over again, and more Disco Sucks T-shirts). Disco didn't suck as bad if Jennifer Jesse wanted to dance.

-- Cheers, WB .............

Reply to
Wild_Bill

That would require a complete TV RF front end, IF amp, and decoder for a cheap clock radio.

In the US, they receive the WWVB 60 kHz signal from NIST. The signal also covers most of Canada. I pick it up in Central Florida with no problems.

has the basics, including how the data is encoded

is the home page for the NIST time standards pages.

You're supposed to throw it all away and spend a fortune on Blu-Ray crap. :(

Michael A. Terrell

is an aerial view of the WWV transmitter site in Ft. Collins, Coloarado. You can zoom in and see all the seperate towers involved, if you are interested.

Michael A. Terrell

The time is not taken off the air. Sony program the current time in the factory, and the end user simply sets the relevent time zone for the country in use.

You need to read the manual and set the time/date yourself!

--
Adrian C
Reply to

read

and it clarifies the issues with the setting of the clock. (Direct link to manual...)

Reply to
PeterD

I have never set the clock before. It is connected to a powerbar that goes off each night. Each time I turn the powerbar back on, the clock adjusts and is set. I have never had to do anything right out of the box for this. Just all of a sudden it is not working.

Reply to
daviddschool

Well, have you tried setting the clock?????

Reply to
hrhofmann