Sony CDP101 repair

Hi,

I bought one of the above immediately they appeared on sale in Sydney - in fact I pre-ordered it. For the first week, I had no CDs to put in it !!

With a few minor repairs, it has been working perfectly for 34 years and nowadays getting only occasional use.

Yesterday, I popped a CD in the drawer and it spat it back - so I tried a couple more with the same result.

Fearing the worst, I opened the machine and found some cockroach droppings in the drawer and near the laser assembly. Not much, just a bit.

While doubting this could stop a CDP101 completely, I nevertheless decided to give it a thorough clean up. Took about 15 minutes with a damp cloth, brush & WD40 and finally a dry cloth.

Popped the same CDs back in and it plays them perfectly.

I reckon there must have been a bit of dead cocky on the lens.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Phil Allison:

What a time capsule! Enjoy and take care of that.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

** OK - why do you call that ?

** I have no intention of doing otherwise.

In terms of tech specs, sound quality, features and ease of use - it is still one of the best CD players ever made.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Phil:

It's appearance, and being the first cosnumer CD player.

It represents that era!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

My first cd player had the disc upright and played at 1x. I like old electronics generally but saw no merit in that one once better came along.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

It would look great with my Onkyo TX-2500 mk II receiver in my "retro stereo corner."

Give ya one fiddy for it.

Reply to
bitrex

I still have a Magnavox (NAP) FD 1040 that I bought in 1984, not quite as old as yours. I used it for years and then it quit working, I couldn't locate the problem. I worked for an NAP authorized service center at the time and even calling tech support didn't lead to a repair. So I sent it to the NAP factory service center for repair. They had it for well over a month and returned it saying they could not fix the problem. I mentioned the situation to one of our other techs, he said, "let me take a look at it" he put a wire through all the vias and resoldered them. He gave me back a working CD Player!

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

-------------

** That is a nasty and pretty rare fault.

I've had to do the same only twice ever.

Few techs would even think of it.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

twice over the years I've seen insect silk blocking the optics of a CD player , once was a complete cocoon, no insect found in either case, just the evidence of thgem having taken up residence

Reply to
N_Cook

Off course, I have seen it, I saw it and I see it... :)

Theoretically, exactly within the scope (5-20000Hz).

don't take electronics too religious.... me thinks is the best.

Indeed. Taking the costs (Turntable, Tonearm, Pickup and pre-pre -MC off course- ;-)) for ultimate Vinyl Quality into account... it is by faaar better in fidelity than any CD-Audio Player. Better than the best CD-Player by Naim or Linn and Sony and Philips. CD-Player, even the best, are sounding hollow and narrowed compared to a fine turntable.

I became moderate, too. My perception range (~18kHz) is biologically still the same... with more and more knowledge to harmonics and seperating multiple tracks/instruments in the brain than 20 years before.

The CDP-101 lacks sound (newer technologies...). Many people might think, that's that (no further playback-technologies) what is memorized on CD...? cd-drive, D/A stage, filtering!, op-amps!! etc. `?

On the other hand, why do we need MC-pickups beyond 40kHz? ;-) (there is max. 16-22kHz writeable/available on a record.... beyond 16kHz with more distortion than linearity ;-)) Superior harmonics....! You can revive them, even when recorded with recording-equipment which can not do more than 20kHz. But to take the effect, you need the other part(s) of the harmonic(s) -beyond 20kHz- which were effectively present in the air while recording. So it's obvious you need someting (at home) which can fill the air vitually the same.

P.S.: I have been very satisfied with the (my) Sony CDP X779ES (w/o filter mod). One of the best machines for CD-Audio....

--
Daniel Mandic
Reply to

Your point of view is dizzy and radical-techno-religous.

I think electronics does not suit you.... It's not a fundamental religion, genetic-ill Phil ;-) (you are a living example of that 'known' genetic disposition)

--
Daniel Mandic
Reply to

---------------------------

** Dear readers,

Daniel has a serious mental disability.

Likely a combination of autism, narcissism and a low IQ.

Feel sorry for him if you like, but folk like him become trouble making assholes if allowed.

Don't.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I wouldn't spend too much time to Phil's mental disorder. He's nothing more here in ser than any other subscriber.... his head (brainstem and small brain) performs the illusion that he might stand above and beyond all other ;-)

--
Daniel Mandic
Reply to

-------------------------

** Dear readers,

Daniel has a serious mental disability.

Likely a combination of autism, narcissism and a low IQ.

Feel sorry for him if you like, but folk like him become trouble making assholes if allowed.

Don't.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

:-)

You are reflecting all the time. Casting all your disorders to other ppl (typical for narziss-ill ppl).

Autism? You know something about? Tell us, Ing. Dr. Phys. Phil Allison! Narziss... yeah, that's exactly yours. You think your IQ is too low? When I read the technical details to your posts (sample theory etc.), it might be true. You sound like an evil preacher more than an electronics engineer :)

Now get back into your small frame of seeing and describing things.

yes...yes. (folk... we... trouble.... allowing) a typical narcist you are.

--
Daniel Mandic
Reply to

-------------------

** Dear readers,

Update:

Daniel is a raving nut case.

Autistic and highly schizoid.

Don't let the nutter cause trouble here.

Best use your kill filter.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

maybe 1 or 2 of 8.... you have at least 6 of 8.

Haven't experienced any authistic skills, yet. Shizoid? Who isn't it at all??

Causing trouble? Your mutated small- and stembrain is spinning that paranoid stories to you....

Be quiet manikin.

--
Daniel Mandic
Reply to

Daniel, Phil!

Will you two get a room and take it off this newsgroup please?!?

Ave Maria....!

Reply to
thekmanrocks

----------------------------------

** Very uncool to blaspheme like that.

If anyone attacks me on a NG -

THAT is business for the NG.

And TROLLS like you can go f*ck yourself.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

You started it (as always...).

You are not good in that business, wishing someone a gun on the head with shooting....

You are one of the biggest troll in electronics I know. 95% of your posts are full with hatred.... the other 5% are containing self-defined terms which nobody (should...) dare to comment ;-)

P.S.: ....stored sunlight (in your nutcase? then let it out the light for a couple of time !! ;-))

--
Daniel Mandic
Reply to