Sony CDP101 repair

I bought one of the above immediately they appeared on sale in Sydney - in fact I pre-ordered it. For the first week, I had no CDs to put in it !!

With a few minor repairs, it has been working perfectly for 34 years and nowadays getting only occasional use.

Yesterday, I popped a CD in the drawer and it spat it back - so I tried a couple more with the same result.

Fearing the worst, I opened the machine and found some cockroach droppings in the drawer and near the laser assembly. Not much, just a bit.

While doubting this could stop a CDP101 completely, I nevertheless decided to give it a thorough clean up. Took about 15 minutes with a damp cloth, brush & WD40 and finally a dry cloth.

Popped the same CDs back in and it plays them perfectly.

I reckon there must have been a bit of dead cocky on the lens.

....  Phil

Sony CDP101 repair
Phil Allison:

What a time capsule!  Enjoy and
take care of that.

Re: Sony CDP101 repair

** OK - why do you call that ?

** I have no intention of doing otherwise.

In terms of tech specs, sound quality, features and ease of use - it is still one of the best CD players ever made.

http://vintage-audio-laser.com/sony/cdp101/sony_cdp-101_5.png

....  Phil

Re: Sony CDP101 repair
Phil:

It's appearance, and being
the first cosnumer CD player.

It represents that era!

Re: Sony CDP101 repair

My first cd player had the disc upright and played at 1x. I like old electronics generally but saw no merit in that one once better came along.

NT

Re: Sony CDP101 repair

It would look great with my Onkyo TX-2500 mk II receiver in my "retro
stereo corner."

Give ya one fiddy for it.

Re: Sony CDP101 repair

  I still have a Magnavox (NAP) FD 1040 that I bought in 1984, not quite
as old as yours.
  I used it for years and then it quit working, I couldn't locate the
problem. I worked for an NAP authorized service center at the time and
even calling tech support didn't lead to a repair.
So I sent it to the NAP factory service center for repair. They had it
for well over a month and returned it saying they could not fix the problem.
    I mentioned the situation to one of our other techs, he said, "let
me take a look at it" he put a wire through all the
vias and resoldered them.
  He gave me back a working CD Player!

                             Mikek

Re: Sony CDP101 repair
amdx wrote:

-------------

 ** That is a nasty and pretty rare fault.

   I've had to do the same only twice ever.

   Few techs would even think of it.

 ....   Phil

Re: Sony CDP101 repair

twice over the years I've seen insect silk blocking the optics of a CD
player , once was a complete cocoon, no insect found in either case,
just the evidence of thgem having taken up residence

Re: Sony CDP101 repair

Off course, I have seen it, I saw it and I see it... :)

Theoretically, exactly within the scope (5-20000Hz).

don't take electronics too religious.... me thinks is the best.

Indeed. Taking the costs (Turntable, Tonearm, Pickup and pre-pre -MC
off course- ;-)) for ultimate Vinyl Quality into account... it is by
faaar better in fidelity than any CD-Audio Player. Better than the best
CD-Player by Naim or Linn and Sony and Philips.
  CD-Player, even the best, are sounding hollow and narrowed compared
to a fine turntable.

I became moderate, too. My perception range (~18kHz) is biologically
still the same... with more and more knowledge to harmonics and
seperating multiple tracks/instruments in the brain than 20 years
before.

The CDP-101 lacks sound (newer technologies...). Many people might
think, that's that (no further playback-technologies)  what is
memorized on CD...?
cd-drive, D/A stage, filtering!, op-amps!! etc. `?

On the other hand, why do we need MC-pickups beyond 40kHz? ;-) (there
is max. 16-22kHz writeable/available on a record.... beyond 16kHz with
more distortion than linearity ;-))
Superior harmonics....!
You can revive them, even when recorded with recording-equipment which
can not do more than 20kHz. But to take the effect, you need the other
part(s) of the harmonic(s) -beyond 20kHz- which were effectively
present in the air while recording. So it's obvious you need someting
(at home) which can fill the air vitually the same.

P.S.: I have been very satisfied with the (my) Sony CDP X779ES (w/o
filter mod). One of the best machines for CD-Audio....

--
Daniel Mandic

Re: Sony CDP101 repair

Your point of view is dizzy and radical-techno-religous.

I think electronics does not suit you....
It's not a fundamental religion, genetic-ill Phil ;-) (you are a living
example of that 'known' genetic disposition)

--
Daniel Mandic

Re: Sony CDP101 repair
Daniel Mandic wrote:

---------------------------

 ** Dear readers,

Daniel has a serious mental disability.

Likely a combination of autism, narcissism and a low IQ.

Feel sorry for him if you like, but folk like him become trouble making assholes if allowed.

Don't.

.....  Phil

Re: Sony CDP101 repair

:-)

You are reflecting all the time. Casting all your disorders to other
ppl (typical for narziss-ill ppl).

Autism? You know something about? Tell us, Ing. Dr. Phys. Phil Allison!
Narziss... yeah, that's exactly yours.
You think your IQ is too low? When I read the technical details to your
posts (sample theory etc.), it might be true. You sound like an evil
preacher more than an electronics engineer :)

Now get back into your small frame of seeing and describing things.

yes...yes. (folk... we... trouble.... allowing)
a typical narcist you are.

--
Daniel Mandic

Re: Sony CDP101 repair
Daniel Mandic wrote:

-------------------

** Dear readers,

Update:

Daniel is a raving nut case.

Autistic and highly schizoid.

Don't let the nutter cause trouble here.

Best use your kill filter.

.....  Phil

Re: Sony CDP101 repair

maybe 1 or 2 of 8.... you have at least 6 of 8.

Haven't experienced any authistic skills, yet.
Shizoid? Who isn't it at all??

Causing trouble?
Your mutated small- and stembrain is spinning that paranoid stories to
you....

Be quiet manikin.

--
Daniel Mandic

Re: Sony CDP101 repair
Daniel, Phil!

Will you two get a room and take it
off this newsgroup please?!?

Ave Maria....!

Re: Sony CDP101 repair
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

----------------------------------

** Very uncool to blaspheme like that.

 If anyone attacks me on a NG  -

 THAT is business for the NG.

 And TROLLS like you can go fuck yourself.

.....  Phil

Re: Sony CDP101 repair

You started it (as always...).

You are not good in that business, wishing someone a gun on the head
with shooting....

You are one of the biggest troll in electronics I know. 95% of your
posts are full with hatred.... the other 5% are containing self-defined
terms which nobody (should...) dare to comment ;-)

P.S.: ....stored sunlight (in your nutcase? then let it out the light
for a couple of time !! ;-))

--
Daniel Mandic

Re: Sony CDP101 repair
Daniel Mandic Raving Psycho wrote:

-----------------------------------

** Never, not even once.

** That troll asked me to explain how to "fuck" himself.

   So I obliged him.

** I am the direct opposite of a troll.

   Cos I go right after the vile, NG destroying pricks.

** The actual ratio is more like 5%.

   I post on 7 or 8 NGs.

** Yes, a beautiful scientific fact.

 Like you are a schizoid, autistic public menace is a fact.

 FOAD.

.... Phil

Re: Sony CDP101 repair

Well, in my experience on Usenet for more years than I care to admit,
Phil is far more often correct than mistaken.  I vaguely recall one
minor item where I caught a mistake, but most other times, he either
had the correct answer, or the correct approach to producing an
answer.  I could only dream that my batting average is as good as his.

I'm on Usenet to learn.  If learning requires tolerating some abuse,
I'm fully prepared to accept (and deliver) some.  It's much like
learning any skill that requires dedication and practice (martial
arts, musical instruments, auto repair, etc).  The good mentors and
instructors are generally quite abusive to the typical student telling
them they are worthless fumbling fools, incapable of mastering even
the basics, and so on.  To many, that's sufficient for them to run
screaming in horror, or complaining bitterly to others in hope of
gathering support.  To the few that actually want to learn, such abuse
is an incentive to try harder, learn better, practice more, and
demonstrate to the mentor or instructor that they are worthy.

Pick your own path to enlightenment and try not to bite the hand that
feeds you knowledge.

Drivel:  I once bought a Sony CDP101 at a local thrift shop.  It
didn't work, so I recycled it, not realizing what it was.

Drivel 2.0:  The original CD  "Red Book"
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Books#Red_Book_.281980.29
was probably written nearby while I was designing marine radios at
Intech Inc during the late 1970's.  The data converter division was
hosting a group of rather secretive Sony engineers, who were probably
working on the A/D and D/A converters for the original CDROM.  The red
books were actually custom printed red ring binders that the company
used for catalogs.  They were everywhere and no doubt were used by the
Sony engineers for their documentation.
<
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/red-book.jpg