Sony CD player was skipping

I while back I reported my roughly 10 year old Sony CD player would not read some CD's, then none of them. Here's the outcome: I opened it up and examined the top (only) of the laser lens assembly. It appeared to servo perfectly in both focus and tracking. The lens also looked squeaky clean. Where to from here... I was thinking. Anyway, I uses a lens puffer brush on the lens just in case - a good brush (top, CD side, only) and a lot of puffing! Surprise, now it works! Morale of the story (I think):

  1. You can't always see a dirty laser lens, so clean it anyway, or
  2. The dirt was lower down, under the lens assembly, and was displaced by the aggressive puffing. We'll see how long this lasts... Cheers, Roger
Reply to
Engineer

Aggressive puffing. :D

- NRen2k5

Reply to
NRen2k5

(snip

Post Mortem! Bad news. It failed again this week, same symptoms but this time no response to lens cleaning and no clues as to a fix. I stripped the unit for a few parts but there's not much in there (power supply PCB assy. to be used for a bias supply for a future tube amp. project; all screws and washers put in a jar for future use; two feet salvaged, the other two are not detachable.) Rest to land fill! RIP! Again, looking for a decent (this time!) CD player for the basement. Cheers, Roger

Reply to
Engineer