Sony CD Player Repair

I have an old Sony 5-disc CD player. It wasn't working when I got it. Cracked the lid and the issue appears to be that the motors are worn down. This unit is maybe 10+ years old and in 2nd or 3rd hand condition. My question is whether it's the motors that are worn down or the power supply. I suspect the motors due to their mechanical nature but the behavior (sluggishness) suggests that perhaps they aren't getting enough power. Open to suggestions and tests that could be run.

Thanks ahead.

Reply to
mearvk

Hello,

I'd start by looking at belts that have stretched out over time. They could also be just dirty or greasy. You can try cleaning them and the pulleys they run on with plain rubbing alcohol. Lubrication can also be an issue, but DON'T use spray lubricants, and be very sparing with any lube.

The date the machine was made is likely marked on it, as most, if not all products with lasers are.

It would be helpful if you would post the model number of the player in future posts.

Regards, Tim Schwartz Bristol Electronics

Reply to
Tim Schwartz

r time. =A0They

be.

most, if not

the player in

It's a Sony CDP-C260Z. There appears to be sufficient grease on the tracks. Yes, I checked the belts. One of them in a non-tooth version which, as you suggest, has stretched out over time. I don't know where I'd get a replacement for it however. I see a sticker on the back with 1997 on it.

The motor which controls the in-out functionality of the 5-disc tray is toothed. This too, is quite sluggish. Yes, there's a good deal of grease on the teeth, drive mechanisms.

So again, what do you think is the best way to approach solving the sluggishness, assuming its not grease?

Reply to
mearvk

wn

uld

ver time. =A0They

be

lube.

s most, if not

of the player in

Edit:

e's a good deal of

Reply to
mearvk

lube.

Edit:

good deal of

So is the grease sticky or gummy, especially if its got in a plastic+plastic bearing surface?

Reply to
N_Cook

ld

be

in

tic

No, neither sticky nor gummy. It's as grease should be, whitish yellow and not hardened at all.

Reply to
mearvk

They

in

Good morning,

Well, then the next thing I'd do is get a schematic and check power supply voltages. I'd also replace the belt. Look for a Sony parts distributor in your area. One in California is Andrews Electronics

You'd be able to get a service manual too, at a price.