Sony Bravia TV help

Hi Guys, I've had this Bravia for 2 or 3 years, just know seeing how much is available.

Anyway, I want to have cable and OTA available. I don't see an easy way to do it. If I put in an RF switch from cable to OTA, then I still need to reprogram the tuner for digital channels. I think? That's to involved just to see the local weather Radar. I now I can buy an external tuner, is there another option? Mikek

Reply to
amdx

There's got to be a better interface than RF to get from your cable box to the TV. Then you can use RF input for OTA and set channels as needed.

Reply to
rev.11d.meow

I don't need or use a cable box. I keep hearing rumors that the cable company is going to go that route, but that's been over two years since I first heard it.

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Now you contradict yourself after first saying you want cable or OTA.

Plug the antenna into RF input for OTA then deal with whatever it is that is now not cable later.

Reply to
rev.11d.meow

One of us is confused. In my OP I said, "I want to have cable and OTA available." Emphasis on the "and". I have cable from a company named WOW. (Wide Open West) So, I connect the Cable to the TV and I have 2 through 70. and then 25 more digital channels between 98.1 and 117.13. Recently my daughter moved into an apartment and wanted an antenna. I built a couple and tried them out using my TV, I found some local, OTA channels I would like, especially a weather radar signal that is not on my cable. So I would like to use both signals, and as I tried to describe, if I have the tuner set for cable and programed, it won't receive OTA signals, and if I set it for antenna and programed it won't receive cable. I suspect I'll need to buy a OTA tuner. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

Not necessarilly an OTA tuner. A simple cable box is essentially a

2nd tuner for the cable channels. You could rent one from your cable company or buy one from Amazon. That might be cheaper than buying an OTA tuner.
Reply to
Pat

Most people use HDMI to connect from the cable box to the TV. Maybe you have a '70s cable box.

This frees-up the RF input for its intended purpose, Antenna, along with its own available channel selections.

Reply to
rev.11d.meow

What you want is not straightforward. OTA and cable frequencies overlap (yo u should check that), so you cannot mix them into a single tuner.

Solutions? Buy a TV with two tuner inputs, or If you want a single or few channels from OTA, there are amplifiers that ca n inject a single channel into broadband cable. Televes has some model with this capability, with an adjustable bandpass filter. You have to check tha t the channel you want to inject does not overlap any signal from cable.

Reply to
Jeroni Paul

I suspect the answer is a box (uh oh) like this;

Running an HDMI cable to the tv then just switch to HDMI on the TV and I'm looking at OTA TV. I don't need one this expensive though. Mikek

amdx