Sony Betamax SL-HF750 problem. HELP!

I have a Sony Betamax SL-HF750 with a problem. This is the model where the tape loader is in a drawer that skates out like a CD player does. The wormdrive motor starts and stops so the drawer wont come open. No foreign objects or broken parts visible under the hood. Any clues for how to fix it? My tech and I are baffled. Harvey

Reply to
rockinnomo

I had one of these with the same problem many years ago. I gave up on it and the customer wound up sending into Sony for repair. I think Sony replaced the entire mechanism. As with any mechanical problem, you have to get a clear view of the moving parts. With the unit unplugged, try putting a few volts dc on the wormdrive motor and take note of where it jams. Then you need to disassemble the mechanism until you can see where it is hanging. That may involve removing much of the mechanism as I recall. You should also consider that there is a good chance that any gear, arm, or other part will no longer be available.

Good luck.

--
David Farber
David Farber's Service Center

It may be the tape sensor defective and it can not detect tape is inside.

Reply to
Eric

There is another possibility, though it's unlikely.

The mechanism presumably has a sensor or switch that detects when the drawer is jammed. It's possible the switch is stuck or hanging.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

There's a switch near the motor which detects whether it's open, or closed. Definitely check this. The worm gear can crack where it's pressed onto the motor shaft. Check the wiring to the motor and sensor switch. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe