Sony 48" Projection TV doesn't turn on anymore!

Hi,

I have a Sony 48" TV that has worked fine for the past 5 years. Never had a single problem or complaint. Model Number is KP48S75. Suddenly, yesterday I go to turn the thing on and. . .nothing! Not a peep, click, gurgle, nothing. It was as if it wasn't plugged in. But it was plugged in. I went to the SONY web site and did what they said (leave it unplugged for 30 minutes and then try again--I did this a couple of times, to no avail). The standby light, which is always on even when the TV is turned off, is on, but that is it. I just called a TV repair place and they said it would cost about $300 to fix, and that doesn't mean that the TV would last any length of time after being fixed. I could need to buy a new TV in 6 months anyway. When I said that maybe I should just buy a new TV now the guy said well if you do, call me and I'll take the old one off your hands.

I really did not expect to have to buy a new TV so soon. According to the guy I talked to today, 5 years is a long time to have a TV with no problems, but I actually thought this TV would last way longer than this! I paid around $1300 for it new in 2001.

I guess my question is this: is it true that TVs just don't last long anymore? This guy told me that 5 years was a long time and that is about as long as any TV is going to last these days. I'm 45 years old, and I remember when TVs used to last for 10-15 years! What the heck is going on?

Why would anyone buy a $3,000 plasma TV if it's only going to last a few years? This guy said that all of the new TVs--LCDs, plasmas, etc.--none of them last very long. Is this true, or is this this guy's sales tactics?

Right now I'm thinking about going to BJ's and getting a cheap 32" TV. If it's not going to last but a few years anyway, why spend more than $325 (including tax)? Of course, if I'm going to spend $325, why not just get the SONY fixed? Because the TV repair guy said it would cost AT LEAST $300, and I'm not prepared to pay any more than that. I have a feeling that $300 will turn into more when he gets through with me. . .

Thanks in advance for any information and/or advice. . .

Lesley

Reply to
lcephas

They don't last as long as they used to, but 5 years is awfully short. If the picture was good when it broke, it's probably worth getting repaired. The fact that the shop is willing to "take the old one off your hands" is a clue that it's worth repairing. They would repair and resell it, and wouldn't do that if they thought it would break in six months.

Funny how much stuff "worked f> Hi,

.
Reply to
Mike Berger

It's true, though! I never had any problems with this TV--that's why I was so shocked when suddenly it just wouldn't turn on. I've had TVs go before, but usually there's some warning. Things start looking or sounding funny, it gets worse with time. . .once I had a TV that stopped showing channels over 55, then it wouldn't show any channels over 43, then 36, and then I tossed it out and got a new one. All this happened over maybe 6 months or more. But this one. . .this one was fine one day and wouldn't come on the next.

The picture was fine when it broke--as good as the day I got it.

I think I'll call another repair shop--see if I can find someone who is not so eager to benefit from my misfortune!

Thanks!

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley

Get some more estimates from other shops. It's kind of amazing that the fellow you called was able to give you a figure over the phone. He must be psychic...

Reply to
Mr. Land

Yes, I was wondering the same thing because I did call another place and they didn't even attempt to diagnose it over the phone. Both places said it would cost between $50 and $55 just to come over here and diagnose the problem. So on Thursday a guy will be coming over and will tell me what's wrong. I'm already getting used to not having a TV downstairs, and it's not the worst thing that's ever happened. Funny how you get used to something and how quickly you can get used to not having it. That first day, though, it felt like hell.

Thanks!

Lesley

Reply to
Lesley

Just fine. How many times I have heard those words.

So many times I have fixed the power supply in a Sony only to see a fugly pink picture that blinks 18 times before staying on (weak green). So many times I fixed the high voltage in an RCA and found the overstretched picture that was "just fine", open cap, and possibly the PIN transistor.

If you got a 2001 Sony that REALLY has a good picture, get it fixed. But scrutinize. Is the grass as green as it should be ? Does it still have that razor sharp focus ? Think about it. If the answer is yes, that is your answer. Even if it is $400. It may say just need a flyback. OK, not cheap, and an aftermarket won't work (as of yet, I am working on that).

Because the set has AKB, I would recommend that before switching it off you select an unused video mode first so the cathodes don't get stripped when you turn it back on. Wait 5 minutes before switching it to what you plan to watch. Alternately you could turn the picture control all the way down before turnoff.

You know how the picture is not so good for the first few seconds ? Well that is when the cathodes are damaged, and once that happens, that is what the picture will look like all the time one of these days.

My recommendations on a new TV ? OK, I got around 30 years experience, my official recommendation is : ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. If you decide to replace the TV, get a used one, preferably from a shop with a warranty. Get the absolute oldest set you can that has adequate features for you.

JURB

Reply to
ZZactly