SONY 200ES Loud degaussing ?

Recently, I received a sony 200ES monitor. The monitor is fine except that it makes horrible loud buzz(degaussing) when turning it on. I have a sony 100ES, but it is not as loud as 200ES.

Question: Is there any way to reduce the noise?

Reply to
marslee

Many computer monitors will make a sound like a "thump" when first powered on, when the degaussing system switches on. My HP mx70, for example, has done this since it was new; many color TVs will make a similar sound as well when the degausser switches on and before the raster appears. As the last poster suggested, there is no way to reduce or eliminate the noise, but it usually lasts only a second or so as the degausser is not meant to run for any length of time. If you are hearing the buzzing sound you report for any extended length of time, the degaussing system is probably operating all the time, which will actually remagnetize the CRT. (This is a rather common problem with color TVs as well). The relay that switches the degausser out of circuit may be sticking in its on state. If your CRT display has color distortion (rainbows, etc.) after power on and after the raster appears, I would check that relay. I would also try disconnecting the degausser entirely. If the buzzing sound disappears, the problem is somewhere in the degausser (relay, thermistor, etc). If your monitor works well otherwise, the degausser is very likely the cause of the loud buzz you are reporting. That your other Sony monitor makes a similar noise (only not as loud) when degaussing also suggests to me that perhaps something in the other monitor may be loose and vibrating while the degausser is working.

Kind regards,

Jeff, WB8NHV Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA

Reply to
Jeff, WB8NHV