Sometimes TV interference.

Last year I had several month's of TV interference
on some channels, mainly pixelation but sometimes
"no signal". Worse on some channels.

Then, up to now, the interference has stopped, all
by itself,

I live in town opposite a large telecommunications
building, and here's a picture of it over my back
fence.....

https://postimg.cc/4mPR4WfM

Note the plethora of weird aerials on its roof
which might be causing the interference on my 2006
Sony wide-screen TV.

If the interference starts up again what do I do?
Are there  special filters for this sort of thing,
and if not how should I frame a complaint?

.

Re: Sometimes TV interference.

** Those are mobile phone ( cellular network ) antennas.

** FFS speak to your neighbours, see if they are experiencing the same thing.

....   Phil

** No.

** With signatures from your neighbours.

....   Phil

Re: Sometimes TV interference.
First : check the shield of your antenna cable and the plugs.
Normally telecom use a separate frequency band and your TV has an AGC.
Me, I should contact a technician of this telecom center to see what can
be done.

Re: Sometimes TV interference.

Interference?  I don't know how you can tell that with a digital tuner.  Pixelation, drop outs, freezes, and no signal indications usually mean borderline signal to noise ratio.

Get a better antenna, add an amplifier, and carefully redirect it.  If your TV has a signal level meter (unusual), you can use that.  Many ATSC stand alone boxes did have a signal level utility which is helpful in seeing how much signal you have.

Re: Sometimes TV interference.

You can't.

It's like Hatlow's "They'll do it every time."
A bunch of neighbor's pointing at the local amateur radio guy.
Among other comments, "I hear he even interferes with Doc's
diathermy machine.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

It's a long time since I saw that cartoon.  I'd forgotten all about it,
but I sure liked it at the time.

He shouldn't do that.

Re: Sometimes TV interference.

 ** From the circumstances of course.

** Or, if intermittent, are clear signs of in-band interference.

** Mine normally shows over 90% readings for signal level and signal quality - but in the early evening some severe interference and drop outs ( "no signal" message displayed ) are experienced.

I reckon it is due to folk turning on their fluoro kitchen lights.

....   Phil

Re: Sometimes TV interference.

If 'better antenna' means aim-able, or selective of TV frequencies, that's good.

Instead of an amplifier, get an ATTENUATOR.   It's possible that an out-of-band signal is
overloading the first stages of amplification, before filtering.
When that happens, any pre-amplification just makes the effect worse.

<https://www.ebay.com/itm/RadioShack-15-678-75-Ohm-Bidirectional-Attenuator-Improves-TV-UHF-VHF-Reception/401494806442

If attenuation leaves the signal good
but removes the interference, it means (1) the neighbor isn't accidentally clobbering
a TV frequency, and (2) either a selective antenna or a trap or  lowpass filter can solve
the problem.   Usually cellphone frequencies are too high for TV interference,
and won't go through antenna wires effectively anyhow, but the cell bands
are certainly known and separable from UHF television signals.

Re: Sometimes TV interference.
says...

Is this off the air with an antenna, Direct TV, or cable ?

If off the air it may be the leaves on the trees.  When they come out,
they tend to absorbe some of the signal.

If cable, they should resolve the issue for you.  Same for the sat
dishes.

Re: Sometimes TV interference.

That would be 2018.

Several would be 2 or more months.

Is that OTA TV, cable TV, satellite TV?  How many channels do you
normally see on your TV?  How many of those channels show
interference?  VHF, UHF, or both?  Interference is rarely on more than
one channel at a time unless you have a broadband source (6MHz per
channel) that's causing the alleged interference.

Pixelation can mean many things.  Usually, it means a weak signal or
bit loss.  Lots of possible culprits.

Which channels?

Are you sure you didn't do anything to make it go away?  Antenna
connection?  Loose shield on the RG-6/u coax cable?  Nearby noise
source got turned off?  I once disarmed a "negative ion generator"
that was wiping out OTA TV reception in part of an apartment building.

The cellular antennas have a very narrow vertical beamwidth.  My
guess(tm) is 11 degrees vertical beamwidth on 850MHz and 6 degrees on
1900MHz.  In other words, all the RF is going over your head and not
into your house.  However, if you have a rooftop antenna, or live in a
multistory house that puts you into the beam, then maybe the cellular
stuff is causing a problem.

Ah, you decided to disclose the maker and age of the TV without
bothering to supply a model number.  Very good.  It's a start.  I
don't suppose there might be something wrong with a 13 year TV?  The
transition from analog to digital TV started in 1996 and was done in
2009.  So, your TV probably has an ATSC tuner.  2006 puts your TV in
the middle of the transition, which makes it difficult for me to guess
the quality of the tuner.

Cellular interference to OTA TV is quite real, especially LTE in the
700MHz band.  This might offer a few clues:
"Out-of-Band Interference: Myth or Reality?"
<https://www.tvtechnology.com/opinions/outofband-interference-myth-or-reality

You walk over to the neighbors and see if they are getting the same
interference on the same channels.  If yes, then find the owner of the
nearby antenna farm and unload your frustrations on their public
relations department.  If no, and you have an outside antenna, try to
borrow a different TV and compare what you see on the screen.  If only
your 2006 Sony has the problem, it might be time to get a better TV.

Yes, there are TV bandpass filters.  However, few of these will work
with unspecified multiple channels.  It might be helpful if you would
insert some numbers in your description.  If you are numerically
challenged, just look for an "LTE TV Filter" such as:
<https://www.techhive.com/article/3235649/tv-antenna/lte-filters-for-tv-antennas.html
<https://www.channelmaster.com/TV_Antenna_LTE_Filter_p/cm-3201.htm
More:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=lte+tv+filter

Try an LTE filter first and see if it helps.  Then find whomever owns
the antenna farm and ask them whom to contact.  Most large
teleconfusion establishments have a mechanism for handling such
complaints.

Good luck.
Sometimes TV interference.
Peter Jason wrote: "Last year I had several month's of TV interference
on some channels, mainly pixelation but sometimes
"no signal". Worse on some channels.

Then, up to now, the interference has stopped, all
by itself, "

Welcome to the world of digital OTA TV broadcast - the
biggest scam ever perpetuated on American consumers
since the 'Federal' Reserve"

Site Timeline