Soaked monitor works after drying!

Ok, I was pissed. A roof leak dripped right into the slots on my Prinston EO500 while it was on, in standby. When I discovered it, the screen was compressed and severely distorted. It was clearly in dire distress. I turned it off, unplugged it and drained the water out by inverting. I let it dry for a week and hooked it back up. No go, distorted internal diagnostic error screen showing wildly fluctuating H and V freq. Let it sit for 3 more weeks and tried again. It works perfectly!!! Life is good.... JR

JR North

Don't bet your pension on it lasting all that much longer.

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Hi!

Yep, you'd be surprised by how much abuse most electronics can really take. That said, having this sort of thing happen absolutely isn't recommended.

I'd have to disagree with the other posters...after having had a disastrous basement flood in 2004, I salvaged whatever I thought might pull through. After cleaning the cases and letting things dry out in the sun, quite a few things survived. Most everything got a pretty good dose of sewage material while under power. I got the power shut off, but the water didn't go down for almost a week.

Many of the devices in question (personal computers, servers, cable modem, and related miscellany) are still running today on a 24/7 basis. Of course, I did have to replace some power supplies and just about every hard disk.

William

Reply to
William R. Walsh

I (still) have a 17" Sony TV (KV-1710, 1974) that a few years ago sat in on a flooded basement floor for many days, in water up to nearly 8 inches. Like William did , I cleaned it out and let it sit in the sun for a couple of days, before deciding whether to toss it out of not. Amazingly, it came up with picture and sound, apparently none the worse for wear. I turn it on once in a great while, can't seem to find an excuse to get rid of it.

--
Chuck Reti
Detroit MI