So what's the truth about lead-free solder ? - Page 6

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 18:43:40 +0100, Eeyore

infriging

  Wrong.  Single frames of video, as well as short clips are 100%
allowable.

  You are an apparently assuming nitwit.

  You infringe on those of us that are intelligent.

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

copyright infriging

What part of  " within their rights to ask" did you misunderstand ?

Graham

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?
On a sunny day (Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:48:58 GMT) it happened "Arfa Daily"

Yea, well, I dunno, you look at it from the large cooperation POV, sure
EFF lawyers could have contacted her, or vice versa.
What needs to be understood by Hollywood & Clan is that you cannot
charge for somebody whistling a popular song, or dancing to
some popular song, one even being broadcasted freely.

It is like giving out free ice cream and then coming after you, to collect.
They just make money over the back of others anyways, a CD should not cost
more then 41 cent.... but hundreds of people make money producing one.
It is a dead end industry, one of the clearest indications of Hollywood
being dead is the low amount of new movies on TV.
For example BBC is now for the third year transmitting the same Top Cat cartoons.
(Probably more then 3 years but I only noticed it the last 3), other
movies are also circulated and repeated no end.

Well that was just a wink to BBC, but really, if you were forced to watch
it everyday, I could not blame anyone for becoming a terrorist.

I know Hollywood and Clan have produced, and produce more stuff, but nobody
buys it seems.

Just joking around a bit....

All was OK with allofmp3.com, the people bought their mp3s there,
it had no copy protection, they still bought it because the price was fair
for a copy / download.

It is the same as Microsoft, charging hundreds of dollars for a 1$ DVD copy
of a very mediocre OS (Vista), it cannot last.
Price will have to go down, there was an article on NYTimes or CNN that
in China now MS sells legal version of windows for a few dollars, to
grab back the market (from illegal copies and Linux).

Pestering your customers by restricting what they can do with what you make,
is not right for business, not of this time.

Lets leave it at that.

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

allopmp3.com simply pocketed the money and didn't pay anything to the copyright
holder, taking advantage of Russian law that doesn't respect intellectual
property.

What's 'OK' about that ?

Graham

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

You just can't help advertsing how stupid you are can you ?

Graham

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

As I understand it, you can be extradited from the UK to the US *without*
anything being proven in a UK court first.  For some reason, the US has
forgotten to sign their half of the "reciprocal" agreement, so it only
works one way.
http://jurist.law.pitt.edu/paperchase/2006/07/uk-mps-protest-lopsided-extradition.php

Chris

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 13:53:40 GMT, Jan Panteltje

aside.
they

---
Ermm...

It's a little different from that.

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?
On a sunny day (Sat, 28 Jul 2007 11:42:26 -0500) it happened John Fields

aside.
those
they
for
launch?

Yea, Abbey Road :-), I had the vinyl, got given away once when I moved to
a different city.....
I have some on it on mp3 now.
Now that you Verbatim quated it, maybe there bots scan Usenet too
(4 sure they do).
I got a lot of hits from some of their spy bots on my web site.
All in the firewal (the ones I know).
I had almost all their records, I even have Tony Sheridan yaya :-)

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

It shows.

And you misunderstood it. The mother is suing Universal Music !

Allofmp3 was a 'pirate' site you utter fathead, situated in Russia where they
paid no
copyright fees. Of course it got shut down.

Graham

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

Jan's got the story back to front. He seems to get everything back to front in
fact.

Youtube video:Mother to Sue

A mother is suing Universal Music Publishing Group for insisting a video of her
toddler dancing to music by pop star Prince be yanked from YouTube on copyright
violation grounds.

Electronic Frontier Foundation lawyers said they filed a lawsuit yesterday
asking a San Francisco federal court to protect the woman's fair use and free
speech rights.
http://prince.org/msg/7/236123?jump=9&pg=1

Graham

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

Yep, sounds like a lawyer-driven test case to me. As soon as I see the words
"fair", "free" and "speech", and "rights" in a sentence that also contains
the word "lawyer", I'm immediately thinking that way ...

Arfa

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

signal.
complained

Why would 'Hollywood' sue over the use of a music track ?

Graham

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?
On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 09:50:01 GMT, Jan Panteltje

signal.
complained

  The suit will fail miserably on the very point I made.

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

I fear it is you who is the moron, my friend. It makes absolute sense to
compare a crap digital signal to a good analogue one, for the ones provided
by digital terrestrial are, for the most part, crap. This is in stark
contrast to the analogue terrestrial signals, which have always been of the
highest quality. The opinion of the poster on what he saw on a PVR, was not
intended to be seen as a 'professional' test, rather it was a subjective
test, which is what we have been talking here all along ...

Arfa

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

I would like one which simultaneously decodes ALL OF the four main channels
(BBC1, 2, ITV, CH4) and then re-modulates ALL of them as PAL onto different
UHF frequencies, to basically recreate the old analog spectrum (albeit with
some MPEG artefacts...).  I want one of these because I'm pretty sure that
I won't find a set top box that is as easy for my grandmother to use as the
four-position rotary switch that is on her present TV, and I don't want it
to be harder to use when the analogue transmitter is turned off.  I think a
box like that would sell very well even for a high price, to the elderly or
basically to anyone who can't get that excited about a new modulation
method like these fanboys, but who just wants to watch TV.  Perhaps when
the time comes I'll just have to buy 4 digiboxes and some splitters and
combiners and make one of these boxes.  At least then all her elderly
neighbours could use it too, at the same time, so it might work out cheaper
as well.

Chris

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?
On a sunny day (Thu, 26 Jul 2007 23:13:52 +0100) it happened Chris Jones

On my PC I have voice control, I can just say:
show BBC1
show ITV1
show ARD
show RAIuno

and in a second or so (as the motorized dish moves to a different sat)
I have it on the 1680x1050 LCD (no not yet 1980).
All it needs is a PCI card and a satellite dish.

Your granny could do it, if she could find the power button on the PC
and monitor.

You can find the scripts on my website (Linux of course).
 http://panteltje.com/panteltje/dvd/index.html
login with user 'guest' and password 'none' without the quotes.
 http://panteltje.com/panteltje/dvd/show

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

Thank you, that's helpful.

I still think it might not be for grandmothers, e.g. explaining why you
can't just unplug it when you're finished watching, etc.  It would take me
a day of driving to go and replace a failed HDD, and whilst the local TV
shop can happily repair the analogue TV set, they might not be so hot on
reinstalling perl scripts.  At least the start-up time would not be
unfamiliar, it would a reminder of waiting for the valves to warm up in the
set before the present one (which was still working when it was scrapped,
but it was 405 lines and B/W).

Chris

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?
On a sunny day (Thu, 26 Jul 2007 23:59:17 +0100) it happened Chris Jones

Well, OK, may I suggest Seagate HDs, I have one up 24/7 now for 6 years.
Other shorter, but no failures so far, other makes have long ago failed.
Yes PC boot up is slow, but having the PC allows one to also easily
check the program schedules, read background info on programs, use
VOIP, watch YouTube, post to Usenet etc.. something your granny would
love to do I am sure.
I would not trust anything to a repair shop....
LOL
I know repair shops.
;-)

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

And I had two of their top flight Barracuda series ( SCSI server types ) die in
under a month each.

Graham

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?
On a sunny day (Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:46:52 +0100) it happened Eeyore

Yea, the way it is, some people ... you should not lend your car to either.
Or even your hanky.

Site Timeline