So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

US Digital. WalMart. Made by Hisense, model DB-2010. ($200) Broadcast only, NOT capable of the cable format. Ready for a single antenna, multi-channel subscriber reception planned for the future in some cities.

It has been out for over two years now, and it looks amazing on an old standard set, not to mention on an actual HD set.

Broadcast digital reception is flawless, and should be the standard... Oooops... to late... It is!

It has component out and composite, and SVHS.

Two channel audio only.

Great reception with either a standard set top antenna or a preamplified unit, not to mention a rooftop job.

The "several" remark was just an assumption, but one would think that others would include such a feature in their units.

Reply to
Spurious Response

SHOCK.... and AWE!

Reply to
Spurious Response

Both terrestrial broadcast, as well as satellite uplinks are 6MHz wide STANDARD channel slots and transponder slots. That was one of the rules of the game back when all this started.

So, on "terrestrial", one can expect the best picture, as it is "single channel per carrier" (SCPC), whereas a satellite uplink from a service provider is going to be a "multiple channel per carrier" (MCPC) implementation, in 99.9999% of the cases.

Artifacts are a product of bit error rate. If the bit error rate of your reception in zero, you WILL get ALL of the data.

The other source of artifacts are pre transmission compression.

In the old MCPC setup, only 6 or 10 channels per carrier could be pumped, and it was an MPEG-2 compression schema and a 480i schema.

Now, they put up to 12 channels per carrier (per transponder) into the uplink for 24 or 64 channels per transponder total.

With HDTV, much more data per frame needs to be dealt with. FEC is your friend.

Reply to
Spurious Response

Bullshit. That is EXACTLY where the multiple channel per carrier thing gets implemented.

In terrestrial schemes, it is only ONE channel per 6MHz wide carrier.

Your tuner may say that there are 3 PBS channels on the number 15, but the actual frequencies of those channels are all on separate 6MHZ wide slots with MAYBE only one which as actually on the channel 15 assigned frequency.

Reply to
Spurious Response

Thanks. I'll have to take a look.

HDTV sucks, at least the little I've seen. The artifacts are too distracting for me to watch the picture. When you can get a camera to stand still while focused on a still object, so the compression isn't blurring everything, there's improvement in sharpness and no snow and, if you're lucky, a minimum of aliasing. When you get off the still life and start watching conventional programming, the picture goes to hell. I watched a bit of a football game while sitting in a furniture store and got a headache from seeing the crowd go into and out of focus.

Wouldn't do me any good. I couldn't get a permit for the fifty-foot tower I couldn't afford to put up. Far too many buildings between me and the transmitting antennas at Sears Tower.

--
"Liberals used to be the ones who argued that sending U.S. troops abroad
was a small price to pay to stop genocide; now they argue that genocide

'Arfa' is in the UK. There is no 'PBS' here.

We do have the BBC though, although it's been degraded terribly in the last few years on the cross of 'political correctness'.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Aw, not so shocking.

--
"Liberals used to be the ones who argued that sending U.S. troops abroad
was a small price to pay to stop genocide; now they argue that genocide
is a small price to pay to bring U.S. troops home."
  -- Jonah Goldberg
Reply to
clifto

You must be in a different multiverse location.

Satellite service gives you 300 plus channels by putting up to 12 6MHz wide "channels" into each 6MHz wide slot.

Spurious Response

That is your fault for not calling them and complaining about your obviously poor strength feed. That or the dopes actually think they can send it out that way from the head end to everyone. That would be really sad, and point toward the need for a class action suit. started at a town meeting, and including the City Manager.

Reply to
Spurious Response

That is referred to as "posterization".

Remember posters that were of "photos" or "pictures", but could only give you a 16 color palette? Distinct lines of separation to "create" a gradient.

Reply to
Spurious Response

Can you please detonate yourself in that case ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

LOL ! You have a City MANAGER ?

A useless f****it MBA no doubt ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Not here. I can watch the football game, and I can tell exactly how many grams of grass is contained in the grass stain the guy just got crammed into his jersey from the tackle he just got nailed with!

Nice out here... where are you?

Then, there is plain digital, not HD, but digital nonetheless. Far batter than cable, and flawless, like you are in the studio looking at a reference monitor stuff!

I watched two seasons of "Lost" in full digital, HD.

Reply to
Spurious Response

Actually, PAL is EXACTLY what they would broadcast.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Not when it is shorting out!

It reminds me of the old stacked type "Record changers".

That is exactly what they did to your collection if you played them from a stack.

RoHS = "Circuit Changers"

Start with one circuit, the one you designed, and find out in short order that the element Tin has decided to change your circuit into some pile of crap.

RoHS is going to create MORE landfill waste., and MORE downtime, and more costly repair cycles, etc., etc., etc. ad infinitum.

Worst "technological advancement" ever introduced, in all of human history.

Reply to
Spurious Response

Fuck off, troll.

Reply to
Spurious Response

AGAIN, you missed it!

HE WAS TALKING ABPOUT WHAT THE STUDIO PROCESSES AND WHAT THE CAMERA FEEDS THEIR PROCESSING GEAR, DUMBFUCKTARD!

THAT has NOTHING to do with what eventually ends up being broadcast.

YUV, dipshit. It is not PAL until the very last process point.

PRO cameras over here have PAL AND NTSC outputs on them, but the guy STILL pumps YUV into the recording gear, and the STUDIO processes it into whatever they want to send it as.

GET A CLUE.

Reply to
Spurious Response

Clearly you have no taste.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Get a grip and wipe the froth from your lips.

SO ! What are you going to do about it ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I can't wait to hear who broadcasts in YUV !

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore