So what's the truth about lead-free solder ? - Page 2

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

LOL ! You have a City MANAGER ?

A useless fuckwit MBA no doubt ?

Graham

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

After the fifth or sixth time in two months, it gets old having them come
back. We're considering DBS but it's taking a while to study the options.

What's odd is that the cable internet service is near flawless.

--
"Liberals used to be the ones who argued that sending U.S. troops abroad
was a small price to pay to stop genocide; now they argue that genocide

  That is referred to as "posterization".

  Remember posters that were of "photos" or "pictures", but could only
give you a 16 color palette?  Distinct lines of separation to  "create" a
gradient.

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?
On a sunny day (Wed, 25 Jul 2007 17:05:06 -0700) it happened Spurious Response
Right, I turned in a portable TV last week.

The boxes that are sold here are equipped with a  SCART connector, a waste.
My 30 year old portable has no SCART, and neither is it HDTV (high resolution).
HDTV is here only available in HDMI DHCP, and still rare anyways.
The normal broadcasting on 'digitenne' here is not HDTV, but DVB-T 720x576.
The idea of a 'portable' is that you bring it to the camping, switch it on, and
see the picture. This fails now for many portables.
I am watching digital TV via the PC for satellite, and also via USB with
a settop box for terrestrial.
This allows me to record transport-stream, burn to DVD, automate things, etc.

I have not seen any digitenne portable TVs yet, but I am sure the market will
soon overflow with these.
I do see a lot of very cheap analog TVs for sale :-)

mmm, it is actually not so simple, for example with satellite
we now are moving from DVB-S to DVB-S2, and also from 720x576 to 1980x1080
interlaced
or progressive, all with HDCP / HDMI..... using MPEG4 / H264 with some sort
of audio, well we have now mp2, AC3, more to follow.....
That, and your sets fall apart after 3 years because of lead-free, it is a great
time
for manufacturers of electronics consumers stuff now ain't it?
Not even to mention Blu-ray versus HD-DVD or whatever, no connector fits....
no format is the same....
It is a wild wild world out there :-)

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

I imagine you haven't looked very hard in that case. Many have UHF outputs.

Graham

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?
konijne keutel Eeyore wrote in

If you had as much as a clue, did not cut half the posting, knew at least
half as much about TV as about rabbits, you would be chaising them.

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

I wasn't replying to the bits I trimmed.

Graham

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

To enlighten the others: to buy anything with any sort of analog output sucks,
as analog is dead at least here in the Netherlands (except for audio).
Buying a settop box with USB output, if you have a laptop with USB, creates the
portable TV with much better quality and recording possibility.
The USB settop box I bought runs from a 12 V adapter, so also from a car battery.
I researched quite a bit to get the best deal, and SCART was not part of that,
let alone a horrible interference prone, PAL coding artefacts decorated
UHF analog output.
 ftp://panteltje.com/pub/dvb-t-nl.txt

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

You must have some rubbish kit over there then. A good PAL analogue TV set,
with a decent signal going in, beats a crappy highly compressed digital
signal, hands down, every time. If you want to talk about a picture
decorated in artefacts however, then digital is the hands down winner every
time in that category ...

Anyways, although your analogue terrestrial *transmissions* may have ceased,
I think it is unlikely that everyone in Holland has just thrown all of their
analogue-input ( both RF and composite ) portable TV sets and such in the
bin, and as long as that is the case, there will still be a need for
analogue outputs on other equipment such as STBs. Bear in mind also that an
analogue signal does not need to be UHF modulated, to be PAL encoded. One of
the default modes of the SCART standard is good old PAL-encoded analogue
composite video, both input and output.

Arfa

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?
On a sunny day (Thu, 26 Jul 2007 16:35:53 GMT) it happened "Arfa Daily"

Well, maybe you do not have digital yet.
And for sure you have not seen the HDTV tests on satellite like those from
France.
I am not denying mpeg2 compression has artefacts, but those very much depend on
bandwidth (bitrate), and bitrate is a bit less then 4000 kbps on digital here.
(non HD).
Although that is less then DVD max, it is absolutely enough for a stunning
_noise free_, _moire free_ (PAL & NTSC composite), _easy to record_ (as .ts),
_no loss editing_ (digital), _space saving_ (both on disk and in the ether),
allowing as many sub-channels as you like (more languages, more subtitles,
teletext, other services, timecode, all in the same stream).

It seems to me you do not _HAVE_ digital yet.
I have had digital sat now for about 7 years, and terrestrial for about a year.
As to range an signal to noise, I can get stations that I could only get
with a lot of noise and some reflections too in analog, now as clear as glass.
Really, only an inexperienced person would claim that composite PAL
in _whatever way_ was better.
And I know composite PAL better then many of you here, as I worked many years
at the source,
Even studio quality (directly from a PAL camera) has all sorts of artefacts,
just where the right striped shirt.

I say: Just buy a good digital set :-)

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 17:10:00 GMT, in sci.electronics.design Jan

Hmm, all the pro cameras I know come out in RGB or YUV.

Nobody in the professional world should be using PAL/NTSC in the
studio's primary signal chain today

martin

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

Interesting you should say that. There must be tons of gear out there that's
'legacy' so-to-speak PAL.

Graham

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 20:51:59 +0100, in sci.electronics.design Eeyore

I think you can still buy  toy composite mixers, try BHphoto etc and
the camera control units (CCU) all had the usual PAL ScH and timing
adjustments, but rarely used, and don't forget that the (almost
obselete) Betacam SP format recorded in YUV anyway.

The PAL outputs are great for preview monitors, ie non critical, and
less wiring.

PAL is a very robust transmission format, but absolutely sucks in a
production setting

martin

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

artefacts,

You would perhaps (or not) be amazed how much critical stuff like editing (for
feature films even- and I mean some really serious ones) is - or certinly was -
done
from rushes that arrive on Beta SP tapes.

Given the huge investment in such kit I'd not be surprised if it's still quite
common.

Graham

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 22:35:45 +0200, martin griffith

Spot on.

It is akin to a high end HD digital video card also carrying a composite
output jack.

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?
On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 20:51:59 +0100, Eeyore

 Read it again. He said PROFESSIONAL, and NEWER equipment is inferred.

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

artefacts,

Since when did PROFESSIONALS not use PAL ?

Don't talk about stuff you have no experience of. It makes you look even more
retarded than normal. I was the technical manager for an editing equipment hire
company some years back. I do know what I'm talking about.

Broadcast TV isn't as wealthy as it once was and don't expect equipment to be
'upgraded' on a whim.

PAL (and especially UK PAL) produces a far superior picture to NTSC btw just in
case
you're getting confused.

Graham

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

Actually, PAL is EXACTLY what they would broadcast.

Graham

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?
On Fri, 27 Jul 2007 03:57:35 +0100, Eeyore

  AGAIN, you missed it!

  HE WAS TALKING ABPOUT WHAT THE STUDIO PROCESSES AND WHAT THE CAMERA
FEEDS THEIR PROCESSING GEAR, DUMBFUCKTARD!

  THAT has NOTHING to do with what eventually ends up being broadcast.

  YUV, dipshit.  It is not PAL until the very last process point.

  PRO cameras over here have PAL AND NTSC outputs on them, but the guy
STILL pumps YUV into the recording gear, and the STUDIO processes it into
whatever they want to send it as.

  GET A CLUE.

Re: So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

I can't wait to hear who broadcasts in YUV !

Graham

Site Timeline