Snowy Picture on LG Plasma TV

My LG plasma (42px50) has a "snowy" background. By "snowy" I mean that a constantly changing random pattern of isolated pixels flash - a little like the old days when you would see static on the screen if your antenna wasn't positioned properly. This isn't as pronounced as that, but the idea is similar. This applies across all inputs (cable box, DVD, etc.) I have component cables from the DVD and HDMI from the cable box. I have tried replacing the cables and the cable box, but he problem is consistent. Even during that momentary black screen that occurs when switching between inputs, the snow remains. It seems clear to me that this problem is not coming from the components or from the cables, but must be with the tv itself. Even when I select an input that is not connected to any device, the snowy picture continues.

Does anybody know why this might be happening or what I can do to correct it? Thanks.

Reply to
Randy

A noisy or oscillating powersupply?

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

How would I test for this? The TV is plugged into a power strip which is plugged into the wall.

Reply to
Randy

cut

Inside the tv. Your incoming power is converted to 1 or more internal supply voltages. Check with an oscilloscope.

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

This could be internal power supply noise. If you are experienced at TV service you can use a scope and go through all the power supply distributions to see if any of them are noisy.

Another cause could be a defect somewhere along the digital signal path. There could be some system clocking errors, or some noise generation taking place.

Jerry G.

Reply to
Jerry G.

Does it do this on the menus also?, if you go to the menu and select white wash or invert does it seem to disappear ?, could your 'snow' be 'sparkles' ? if so sounds like its the same fault mine had and it turns out to be lots of 33uf caps on the power inverter board. The board with four little transformers on, three in a row at the top and one in the middle.

Test with an ESR meter and change, but I now need a manual to set a couple of voltages to make it go away completely.

I'm told the board in these LG sets are the same on used in Philips Plasmas?,

Reply to
f825_633