smps transistor always blow

dear newsgroup,

pls help me in fault finding my monitor (small monochrome - brand: NTC). it always blows the chopper transistor and the controller ic (maybe a pulse width modulated ic). what could be the possible failure? thanks in advance.

regards,

ian

Reply to
yhan

Check if the line output transistor is s/c.

Reply to
Barney

Most SMPS have a control IC which will automatically go into pulse-by-pulse current limiting if the output is shorted, so continued failure of the switching transistor and control IC is unlikely to be caused by anything in the monitor itself. I would suspect something towards the front end of the SMPS around the bridge rectifier. Perhaps a diode in the bridge rectifier is shorted?

Reply to
Ross Herbert

thanks, i'll look into it

ian