SMPS failure query

In a Philips CDR755, year 2000. Working fine previous time of use and then nothing at the next use. Turned out to be a 1N5406 size package SB360 3amp 60V shottky diode gone short circuit on the LV side for the

5V rail. No other colateral damage (not tried recording a CD yet but both decks play) , maybe a very slight discolouration on the anode end of the diode, could equally be from time of encapsulation. After the Tx , I would have said probability-wise. about the least likely item to fail. Original manufacturing flaw that progressed or something to check for before being certain just an isolated failure? if there was ,say, a power surge/spikes or something could that cause a failure to that diode and nothing else? Was it just coincidence there was a water leak , over electrical equipment elsewhere in the house about the time of this failure.
Reply to
N_Cook

Don't over think this. Shorted diode, replaced, worked... move on. I see this all the time. If your 5V is stable and the diode runs cool, most likely an isolated failure. If it blows another, then revisit.

Reply to
John-Del

I just don't like the idea of coincidences. The roof leak poured over a music system and filled up the tape deck, at least they junked that . This was in another room but happened over the same week.

Reply to
N_Cook

There's a logical fallacy, "Post hoc, ergo propter hoc".

The world is irrational, and there are lots of coincidences. Take John-Del's advice, and let it rest for the time being.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

ure.

e this all the time. If your 5V is stable and the diode runs cool, most li kely an isolated failure. If it blows another, then revisit.

14 years old? change the caps with low ESR units.
Reply to
stratus46