Smoke detector testing

We do fire alarm system inspections. To test smoke detectors we use a spray can which contains an inocuous compound.. When sprayed a few feet below a smoke detector it emits a mist which temporarily obstucts the sense chamber in a photoelectic detector and sets it off. The mist quickly clears and the detector returns to quiescent conditions. I recently offered to do annual testing for the local church and synagogue in town as a donation. Both sanctuaries have high cathedral ceilings. The detectors cannot be reached even from ladders. I have learned that there is an extention pole assembly with a clamp on the end to hold the spray can. The basic kit takes you up to 10 feet. Then you add extention poles after that. The nozzle of the can is operated by way of a cable or linkage through the hollow fiberglass pole from below and sprays the can. I don't mind donating my time however buying the equipment which is needed to reach these detectors in the sanctuaries in both buildings will cost me over 400.00 I was thinking of trying to adapt something but I'm not sure what. I was wondering if this has ever come up in any other trade that someone may know of. Any advice will be most sincerely appreciated. Lenny.

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

On 10/26/2010 10:34 AM, klem kedidelhopper wrote: I don't mind donating my time however buying

Go to a paint store or Home Depot and get a painter's extension pole. And a 4-6" strap hinge. Duct tape the can near the top of the pole along with the hinge so it lays over the push button on the can, use a string to pull the hinge and push the button.

Make believe you're tagging your favorite freeway over pass.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeffrey Angus

I assume by "spray can" you mean "aerosol" -- like a woman's hair spray? (i.e., button on top that your fingertip depresses to release the contents of the can)

What's the ceiling made out of (wallboard, wood, etc.)?

Could you firmly affix can to *a* pole (wooden dowel, aluminum rod, etc.) and simply press it up *against* the ceiling (hence my concern over what the ceiling is made of -- lest you mark or damage it in the process) with its nozzle pointed towards the smoke detector?

Alternatively, a tree pruning saw (the sort that uses a telescoping fiberglass pole -- $40 at Home Despot) with saw blade removed and can affixed below the "chopping blade" (different from the *saw* blade) so that tugging on the rope pulls the actuating lever down onto the spray can "button" (?)

Reply to
D Yuniskis

Nice of you to leave off the necessary length for the extension pole. Cathedral ceiling?

Yeah, the pro kit can cost $400.

According to some friends in the fire alarm biz, the problem is blowing the dust out of the smoke detector before running the test.

I use a 3 section fiberglass extension pole that's about 20ft long. About $60. (Very handy for antenna tests). Over 20ft long, they get kinda pricey. At 40ft, the aluminum versions are about $120.

You can get all manner of adapters for the top, including one for spray cans.

Note that under "applications" it lists "smoke detector testing". Smoke Check spray is about $10/can.

As an alternative, it might be easier to keep the can on the ground, and simply project the spray. Get a 20ft long soda straw or equivalent, attach it to the can nozzle, and spray from the ground. If you need additional lift, use an air compressor to help move the spray contents towards the ceiling.

See if this gives you any ideas:

Fill the Wham-o Air Blaster with some magic smoke liquid, and fire away.

If you're really cheap, fill a zip lock bag with a blast of your magic spray. Attach it to a mouse trap. Attach to the fiberglass extension pole. Connect a string as a trigger mechanism. When in the vicinity of the smoke alarm, pull on the string, which springs the mouse trap, which will pop the bag, and release the contents. Rube Goldberg would be proud.

If you're avionically incline, purchase a remote control electric helicopter and have a it drag a plastic bag full of the magic smoke near the smoke alarm. Puncture the bag with whatever mechanism is available. While not as practical as the other suggestions, this might be the most fun. If too technically challenging, a helium balloon on a string might provide the necessary lift. Use a laser or dart gun from the ground to puncture the bag.

Ummm... this has what to do with electronic repair?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

Or you could just tie a bit of smouldering rope/rag/cigar/other combustible to the end of a long pole...

Reply to
Ron

On 10/26/2010 10:08 AM Ron spake thus:

... and hope the smoldering stuff doesn't get caught on something combustible attached to the ceiling and set the damn church on fire.

Have you ever been at the bottom of a 40-foot pole with a weight on the top, trying to guide it somewhere? It ain't easy.

David Nebenzahl
[snip]

+42
Reply to
D Yuniskis

So, how about a smoke candle stub in a wire-cage, and one of those little RC helicopters?

Or a smoke-ring blower (takes an oatmeal can and a rubber-glove and a bit of string) on a stick? You can aim the smoke-ring in still air...

It doesn't have to be 'official' equipment, does it?

Reply to
whit3rd

So, how about a smoke candle stub in a wire-cage, and one of those little RC helicopters?

Or a smoke-ring blower (takes an oatmeal can and a rubber-glove and a bit of string) on a stick? You can aim the smoke-ring in still air...

It doesn't have to be 'official' equipment, does it?

*********

A lot of air movement with helicopter but I like the vortex generator idea. Ascending to heaven in a stable interior environment should work very well, those vortexes travel great distance before distorting or deviating

Reply to
N_Cook

Fix a cheapo laser pointer to the vortex barrel for sighting the target. With cold smoke and barrel mounted vertically you are at an advantage being able to let the smoke stabilise in the barrel before triggering, for very symetrical and stable and far reaching smoke rings

Reply to
N_Cook

I assume guiding the pole is the basic problem. The OP didn't say how high the ceiling was, which might help.

I changed a 300W bulb about 40 ft up working from a tall step ladder then using a standard light bulb changing pole and extensions. Three light ropes were tied at the top to control where the bulb grabber went, with 3 people on the ground guiding. After about 1 extension, you have to guide the top as you add extensions. Working on a ladder allows adding an extension under the stack. Extensions were around 8 or 10 ft. You could probably kludge the extensions with 1/2 or 3/4" EMT and good couplings.

Reply to
bud--

On 10/27/2010 6:35 AM N_Cook spake thus:

Smoke rings, you say?

Forget all these other ideas! Just get a man-lift and a cigar. Don't have to go all the way "up to heaven", just far enough to get a nice big fat smoke ring up to the detector.

David Nebenzahl

.

eing

ry

I found a site that someone posted for a company out West. Their product is actually made better than the 400.00 one and costs less than 100.00 It comes with a 24 foot extension pole With that and me on a ladder if necessary will do the job. Thanks to everyone who responded for all your ideas and suggestions. iespecially liked the hekicopter idea. It would be an interesting experiment to fasten a spray can onto the helicopter take it up to the smoke detector and have a servo depress the nozzle. Don't know if the people at the church would appreciate the creativity of this though...Lenny

Reply to
klem kedidelhopper

Lenny-

The cathedral ceiling presents another problem to the church: How do they change batteries in the smoke detectors every six months? Perhaps they already have a way to get to them if you ask.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

On 10/29/2010 9:05 AM Fred McKenzie spake thus:

Maybe they don't. Maybe they just pray really hard.

David Nebenzahl

Why don`t call for the FAS-Brigade for changing & testing?

Flying Angel Service

SCNR

Saludos Wolfgang

Saludos Wolfgang

--
Meine 7 Sinne:
Unsinn, Schwachsinn, Blödsinn, Wahnsinn, Stumpfsinn, Irrsinn, Lötzinn.

**You're a fool. Churches get people to do stuff for nothing all the time. Just don't do it. They're in business to suck money away from the gullible. Charge them like any other client.

Awhile ago I quote a church on a sound system. They didn't like my quote and got some idiots to do the job for free. Now I have to come in and fix it up so it works properly. It'll cost them more than the original quote.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys and all that.

Charge them for the job at your normal rates, plus any extra equipment. Do not be a patsy for these cults.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Oh, I've always wanted one of the RC blimps. That would be great fun flying around in a church.

"Say Deacon, it's been a month since I last tested the smoke detector better get the blimp out."

George H.

Reply to
George Herold