Smoke Alarms beeping. Any ideas ???

Don't think it can be the easy one. low batteries as they are hard wired in to the power. They are located in our Stairwell in our building. One is right at my door and has a high pitched SCREECH :(

They seem to be going off at the same time one after another. Not all of them just some of them.

I was thinking maybe they were left in a TESt mode or something. As iam pretty sure Smoke alarms don't make noise till they need to :)

Any ideas.

Going to call our buildings Strata, people who look after the building to get it fixed anyways. Just like to know your thought son the matter :)

Thanks.

Reply to
Home Theatre Guy

Bugs! I've found dead spiders in several smoke alarms that were acting funny.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Are you absolutely sure that there`s no battery in there? My house has wired in smoke detectors, but each one has a PP3 in little drawer on the side. When the PP3 discharges, the detectors beep, even if the mains power is in.

Ron(UK)

--
Lune Valley Audio
Public Address Systems
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Ron(UK)

They are pretty new so i don't think bugs. Unless they are shit alrms and defective and those are the bugs :)

Keep em coming :)

Reply to
Home Theatre Guy

I once stayed in a hotel with a smoke alarm that would chirp every 2 minutes. It was also wired into the mains power. My solution was rip it off the wall.. It kept beeping and I had to find the battery in it and rip that out also.. I finally got some sleep after that.

- Mike

Reply to
Michael Kennedy

Hard wired alarms are usually connected together, so if one goes off, they all go off. Typical of a multi unit residence. Also, many have a battery back up. You should have long since called the property owners. Regards Lee

Reply to
Lee Babcock

Home Theatre Guy wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Could be a surge or pulse on the power line. I learned this from a fireman who had to go around resetting lots of alarms in apartment buildings.

This would explain why many of them (but not all) go off at once. (If they were wired together to go off at the same time, then all of them would go off.)

If it is a problem with surges on the power line, it will affect other buildings served by your power substation.

Reply to
Jim Land

I opened mine up in my place, the same ones are outside. And yes they do have a battery in them. I suppose they need some new ones.

Ill ring some people up tommorrow and get ALL teh batteries replace. Shouldhave some peaace for atleast 15 months i hope :)

I hope thats the problem. Easy enough to fix.

Thanks all.

Reply to
Home Theatre Guy

Jim..... only if they all were in proper working order! Regards Lee

Reply to
Lee Babcock