SMD rework station from China

Has anyong looked at the 3 in 1 853D SMD DC Power Supply Hot Air Iron Gun Rework Soldering Station from China that is selling for about $ 12 to $ 15 wth free shipping on ebay now ?

I bought one similar without the low voltage power supply/meter a few years back. They were around $ 60 back then. While I am sure it would not hold up under heavy use , it works very well for my maybe once month use.

I just put one on order as a spare at that price. There are several sellers at that price and several more at the $ 50 or so range.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The Chinese gov. must really have it in for techs right now. I agree the price is too good to be true, shipping alone is more than the item is worth.

How this item can be shipped for free is crazy.

How safe can the electrics be in this device? I'll buy one to pull it apart because I can't believe it will meet any electrical safety standard.

John :-#(#

Reply to
John Robertson

Its a scam. Look at the feedback for all those sellers, Sports briefs HKD 1445 (185 USD).

If its too good to be true its probably a scam.

Actually I bought one of these at a flea market recently for $10, its not a bad unit.

Reply to
JC

The one I bought from (just ordered it ) has 100% with 92 sales. Several others like it have 100% with 80 to 100 sales.

I did notice some similar items that have several choices and for around $ 12 you get the accessories and not the whole unit.

I know ordering from China does not seem like it is possiable. I have ordered several things for a dollar or two. Postage should be way more than that. However everything but one came in and that item was a crimping tool that usually sold for about $ 30 and it was listed for $

  1. A message to ebay got my money back in less than 3 days.
Reply to
Ralph Mowery

FWIW, as a general warning, many of these types of units have bad wiring an d violated basics safety principals, such as proper grounding, improper fus e placement/rating or most likely no fuse at all. In this and various othe r electronic/electrical NGs, there are discussions about what people find. Do some googling about your device of interest and see if ppl have complai ned. You may have to do some re-engineering to make the thing safe. While the pricing of this stuff is really attractive, I will get this stuff from reputable mfg.

Reply to
jjhudak4

I tried to buy one of these, last year. About two weeks later, Ebay refunde d the money, and the seller no longer had an account on Ebay. Like in these ads, there were hundreds sold, and decent feedback. Also, you have to be c areful. Some sellers don't tell you that their soldering tools are 240VAC i nstead of 120 VAC.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

I was mostly courious to see if I could get one for the $ 13 price. It does sound too good to be true. It would make a good spare unit for the one I already have.

The 240 volt problem is something to keep in mind.

Going through ebay and paypal I doubt I will loose any money, but $ 13 won't break me. I have gotten 2 refunds when I did not get the items from China. I never order anything from over seas if I really want it or want it in a week or two. I have probably bought 2 or 3 hundred items from over seas. Good results from all but 2 that was made good. Most were in the $ 10 range. Amazing what kind of trinkets you can get from there for almost nothing. Most work like I expect them to.

I look on Youtube for some of the items and ofen see where someone has modified them to work much better for a few dollars of parts. I just modified a $ 15 audio generator from the Youtube instructions for another $ 5 that makes it work much better. I have enough parts left over from that to do several more.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery