Slowing Down the CPU Speed

Hi,

I have two WinBook XL2 laptops with Windows 98se. Most of the time, I use them off line (off the Web) and I don't need the CPU running at full speed (400Mhz). The problem is the noisy fan that cools the CPU. This fan is not defective since it is noisy on both laptops and it runs constantly after a warm up period.

I could not find anything in "Setup" or the manual that allows you to reduce the CPU speed.

Is there a utility that would allow me to slow down the CPU, thus reducing the heat up so the fan doesn't constantly run?

Thanks in advance, Brad

Before you type your password, credit card number, etc., be sure there is no active keystroke logger (spyware) in your PC.

Reply to
Brad

You already have the ultimate CPU slowdown, a 400MHZ CPU.

Newer intel CPU's have speedstep that will automatically throttle down. Yours is probably too to have it. Laptops run hot. get a cooler plate for the bottom if you have to.

bob

bob urz

There MAY be some jumpers inside for bus speed, or multiplier, but most laptops are fully automatic. If it has an Intel CPU, forget it, unless you can modify the motherboard.

Cleaning the heat sink and fan might help things. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

On Fri, 20 Jun 2008 13:40:36 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net (Brad) put finger to keyboard and composed:

Short version:

Try CPU cooler software such as CPUidle, Rain, or Waterfall.

Long version:

FWIW, your laptop appears to be manufactured by Twinhead International Corp. At least that's what the BIOS ID strings appear to be telling me:

62-3500-001159-00101111-071595-440BX 62-3700-001159-00101111-071595-440BX

Here are the report files for your AMI BIOS (137 is for a laptop with an ESS modem, 135 is for a Lucent winmodem):

There are many features in the BIOS setup which have been hidden from the user, but I still don't see anything that may resolve your issue. Notably, the Hardware Monitor section has no temperature, voltage, or fan related settings.

I suggest you try CPU cooler software such as CPUidle, Rain, or Waterfall, to name a few. IME CPUidle will drop your CPU temperature by at least 10degC during periods of low activity, at least in a desktop machine.

See

The specs for your laptop ...

... state that your main chipset is Intel's 443BX (north bridge) and PIIX4e (south bridge), and that your IO chipset is National Semiconductor's NS97338 Super I/O Controller.

The latter "manages the interface to the floppy drive, serial ports, infrared port and parallel port." Unlike other IO chips, the NS97338 does not appear to have any hardware monitoring capability, but I'm not sure about this (I can't find its datasheet).

The Celeron and Pentium II CPUs have an on-die thermal diode. The

443BX/PIIX4e datasheet shows this diode connected to an external thermal sensor which is in turn connected to a "System Controller" or to the PIIX4e south bridge via an SMBus.

I'd try a hardware monitoring program such as Motherboard Monitor 5:

... or Speedfan:

Everest Home Edition also has a Sensor tab under the Computer category:

One or other of the above programs may be able to tell you if you have a software accessible temperature sensor in your machine.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar