Slip ring/alternator questions

I'm sure someone here can help. I need to get power to a solenoid operated valve spinning at 5000 RPM. Low power, 24 volts at 5 watts. The power will be on for about 4 seconds and off for 7 seconds. This on/off cycle will be going on 10 hours a day. I have looked at slip rings online but the high speed through hole type are really spendy. Then I got to thinking about the slip rings in alternator. They certainly can carry enough current but I don't know how fast alternators typically spin. I do have an old alternator that would make a good slip ring donor. Anybody know or have a better idea? I need about 1 inch diameter through the slip rings. Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

Not sure which "alternator" you have but a U/S vehicle one would yield what you want most likely, probably you could mod the brush holders too.

Reply to
Rheilly Phoull

Most motorcycle alternators deliver peak output at 5000RPM - they're probably not all that different to car ones.

AFAIK: most car alternators moved on to coaxial pole coupling for the rotary field winding - which eliminates the need for slip rings.

http://www.avg.com
Reply to
Benderthe.evilrobot