Slightly distorted picture.

I bought a new TV (cheap) the picture is fine apart from one minor problem. At the bottom left hand corner the picture seems to slant up slightly. This is only ever noticable when there is text or a logo in that area, scrolling text tends to highlight the problem, perhaps due to some sort of optical 'illusion'. Its a bit hard to describe the problem exactly as things appear to be fine futher up that side of the screen. What I would really need is a 'testcard' but unfortunately they don't seem to broadcast one these days, the best I can do is something like the TV menu from my Sagem box which tends to indicate (slightly) that the picture is too far to the right, so there might be similar distortion on the other side minimised because you can't see it. Its one of those flatscreen ones and this may be part of the problem perhaps, nothing on menu page looks perfectly square nut some maybe due to my imagination (been noticing similar things on my PC monitor now!!). A quick test on my portable reveals that the I can see more picture on the 'flatscreen' one so more oppertunity to see distortion, also the portable is non-flat screen with curved edges, the perfectly square edges of the new TV are only an aid to highlighting the problem. It's only a minor issue though, 1-2 millimeters difference from one side of the screen to the other. I would add that the colours hold true, all distorted equally :O) but slightly annoying nonetheless albeit only when there is text in that region.

One thing which occured to me was it has quite powerfuls peakers 8 Watt, either side but I doubt it is them. I suspect it is none cureable but i will take the back off and have a look to see if there is anything I can play about with. A slight anticlockwise twist and a shift to the left would probably help things, as would an overall magnification of the picture size, although I doubt I will be able to do that.

It's really not worth taking it back to the shop or getting it 'repaired'. Again I assume achieving a 'flatter squarer picture' is part of the problem. Its a bit like the bottom 'deflection plate?' is slightly bent upwards on one side.

Reply to
Albert Grennock

Puting a suitable magnet at that corner of the tube might help but I guess this would magnitise the screen, its like a 'rubber picture' which needs stretching down in one corner.

Reply to
Albert Grennock

I would add that sometimes when watching a 4:3 picture broadcast in 16:9 on my 4:3 set set up for letterbox, that the right hand edge of the screen appears slightly wavy at times, the left hand side is fairly straight.

Just to clarify what I mean, I am seeing a small 4:3 picture which has black bars top bottom left and right due to the wonders of widescreen technology :O)

The right hand side can appear very wavy, I am unsure if the problem is with my TV.

Reply to
Albert Grennock

'testcard'

of

shift

picture

problem.

It sounds like this set is well within tolerance for a cheap TV, to some extent, you get what you pay for, and many TV's have shockingly bad geometry, even some very good ones require adjustment right out of the box.

Reply to
James Sweet

Unless you spend a few thousand pounds on a studio monitor, that's perfectly acceptable. 1-2mm over the width of the screen is actually rather good, even on a smallish screen. You could probably improve it slightly with a bit of work, but only if you're experienced on setting up CRTs.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

fine

the

portable

distorted

look

'repaired'.

on

box.

Picture quality is not a function of price, the picture on my £49 portable is great, I am sure televisions for 5-10 time price have poorer pictures. TV show rooms would never display a picture which would allow you to ascess picture quality.

Reply to
Albert Grennock

Great compared to what? Sure you don't automatically get a better picture by spending more on a TV, but higher end sets do have far more adjustments, higher quality video amps, and generally have tighter tolerances on the CRT. Properly tuned I guarantee that a £49 portable would pale next to a £500 CRT.

Reply to
James Sweet

portable

by

CRT.

I am sorry you are wrong, there would be no difference whatsoever, infact the expensive TV is likely to be worse. The technology required to produce a *perfect* TV picture is not expensive, infact it is pretty cheap. By perfect I mean as good as the signal recieved. Also due to the economies of scale more work goes into mass producing cheap sets than building a handfull of expensive models, which due to their high price makes a repair worthwhile. The cheaper sets have to right first time. Same goes for Rolls-Royces and Ford Focus's, the engineering on the Ford is vastly superior. Go into any TV show room and there will be no correlation between picture and price, usually the more expencive sets have the worst piccture.

Peope pay more for a TV set because they believe that they must pay a price to suit their 'status', the picture is the same.

Reply to
Albert Grennock

Not to mention that, in isolation, the human eye is easily fooled...this from training materials from a former employer.

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

Albert, your posts are nothing if not entertaining.

Dave

Reply to
Dave D

Well...if you get really close, the small screen picture looks better... :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom MacIntyre

LOL!