size capacitor for a fan motor

Hello -- I have a Patton air circulator: Model 1010MP Style SH-74SP-R

120V 60 Hz 350W 3.8 Amps. This is a metal pedestal fan with about a 30" blade diameter. The company that bought Patton does not manufacture this type of fan and has no info about it. It was probably manufactured in the 1970's, but still runs fine. The problem is getting it to run.

About 10 years ago, the motor began to hum when I'd turn it on and it would take a long time for the fan to get up to speed. I took the capacitor off and the only local replacement I could find was a Baldor

400-480 MFD 110-125 VAC. The original capacitor mounted outside the motor and measured about 1 3/8" x 3 1/2". I've since lost the original capacitor, and there is no capacitor info inside or outside the motor.

This substitute capacitor is not appropriate. When I turn the fan on, the blades move very slowly, and I have to disconnect the capacitor to get them to spin at normal speed.

Would a fan motor of this size typically require a start, run or run/ start capacitor? What size would be a good guess?

Thanks in advance, Wendell

Reply to
Wendell

The usual for most fans is a 'run' cap. I'd be thinking about 3.3mfd as a trial.

--
Regards .............. Rheilly P
Reply to

Is the fan a single, or multispeed model?

Can you determine what type of motor is there? (can't see from here).

Is a distinct click heard as the motor is slowing down after turning it off?

Are there 3 power leads for the motor, or only 2?

Have you checked for the availability of ceiling fan capacitors at local stores? Many stores sell the low-value (uF, mfd) AC capacitors as replacement parts for ceiling fans.

Are the motor bearings in good condition, clean and properly oiled?

A 400 uF/mfd AC capacitor is a very poor choice for a motor that size, IMO.

As jimboxn suggested, a low value AC capacitor is likely appropriate.. my choices would be from 3 to about 12uF if the motor is a PSC type motor.

Reply to
Wild_Bill

I shoulda paid closer attention to the postings..

it was Rheilly that suggested a low value AC capacitor, not the other poster

Reply to
Wild_Bill