Singer vacuum cleaner motor

Hello: I am trying to re-assemble the motor on a vacuum cleaner I found next to the dumpster. The problem is that I cannot fit the armature or commutator through the carbon brushes without removing the stationary magnet first. But, once the armature is fitted correctly so that the brushes are on it, then I cannot put the stationary magnet back on. It appears that the bearing and the fan are glued or welded to the shaft, so I cannot remove those items to replace the stationary magnet. A diagram would be helpful, but I can't find one. This vacuum cleaner appears to be made in the early 90's, from the codes on different pieces throughout. Any suggestions?

Reply to
johndee

Hello: I am trying to re-assemble the motor on a vacuum cleaner I found next to the dumpster. The problem is that I cannot fit the armature or commutator through the carbon brushes without removing the stationary magnet first. But, once the armature is fitted correctly so that the brushes are on it, then I cannot put the stationary magnet back on. It appears that the bearing and the fan are glued or welded to the shaft, so I cannot remove those items to replace the stationary magnet. A diagram would be helpful, but I can't find one. This vacuum cleaner appears to be made in the early 90's, from the codes on different pieces throughout. Any suggestions?

Reply to
johndee

Ideally the brushes should be removed before you disassemble the motor, and replaced once the motor is reassembled, but I know some cheap designs make it hard to remove the brushes. You may be able to pull the brushes apart using the copper cables which emerge from the rear end of the brushes, but this is risky. Beyond this, it's hard to suggest much more without seeing a diagram or photograph.

Best wishes,

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Tidy

Right. The copper wires are slipped into hard-wired connectors, and the whole brush assembly is sealed from the rear, thus I cannot pull the brushes back. I just have to play with it some more. Maybe a thin rigid tube of just the right diameter to hold the brushes against the spring tension will allow me to re-assemble it. You are right about poor design. If I can't get it together soon, I'll try to include a diagram. I will also look for a manual on the motor itself. Interesting research problem.

Reply to
johndee

Right. Any sort of jig to keep them out of the way, maybe even a string tied around the thing holding the brushes that is cut once the armature is in place.

And, yes, I agree, that some modern electronics seem as though they were assembled from the inside! :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Reply to
kv888831393ster

Right. Any motor with a strong permanent manget should NOT be dissassembled without the keeper. At least to be sure it won't lose strength. Ferrite is probably immune but other types of magnets are not. And, they may be magnetized in some strange pattern so that it's not possilble to recharge at home. Strange but ture.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Sam Goldwasser

Thanks to Chris and Sam for replying to the motor re-assembly. I arrived at the "tie a string" around the brushes idea a couple days after posting here. It worked. I used dental floss. Maybe thread would have been more appropriate considering it is a Singer?? Again, thanks for the posts.

Reply to
johndee

In all the vacuum-cleaners I have disassembled, I have never seen one that was permanent-magnet of any significant size. Perhpas you could create a general image with MS Paint or something and post it on fileshack? Then maybe we can see just what kind of situation you are facing, or I might even recognise the motor design. Post a link to it here so we can all see, if you do such...

If anyone knows motors here, it's likely me, so if I can see what you are talking about, then I can more easily determine how it went together.....

Reply to
Electromotive Guru