Sides get cut off Toshiba 29L1350U, thinking of exchanging for Insignia NS-28E200NA14

I recently bought a Toshiba 29L1350U LED backlit TV. When viewing 480 (No n-HD) widescreen material via the antenna or composite input, the sides get cut off a little, which is annoying when watching a certain financial news channel that begins with the letter B. No other TV in my house has this i ssue with the identical signal via the identical type of input, and I've tr ied all the settings on the Toshiba TV, etc.

I've called Toshiba tech support, and they admit they can't resolve this is sue.

I'm thinking of exchanging this TV of an Insigna NS-28E200NA14, which is sl ightly cheaper (but only by $10) It's 27.5 inches versus the 28.5 inch To shiba.

I'm assuming the Insigna won't have the "sides cut off with a 480i widescre en signal via the composite input" issue. (and if it does, I could always take it back as well)

I just wanted to ask if you think exchanging for the Insigna is going to be a mistake in the long run, due to the brand being more likely to break tha n a Toshiba? I'm told Toshiba is supposed to be one of the more reliable brands. Is this really still true?

Would I be better off just learning to live with the sides getting slightly cut off on the Toshiba, rather than accept an "off brand" TV like Insignia , or do you think the Insignia is just as good a TV in terms of reliability ?

(and..BTW...yes, I have a good reason for viewing 480 (non HD) material)

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

J.

Reply to
jaynews

I don't have a Toshiba, but on my LG it has the ability to set the screen to a size larger than normal. Are you sure your TV is not set to fill the screen and is perhaps set too large?

Reply to
Ken

I'm absolutely sure that it isn't set for larger than normal, and that ther e is no setting that will resolve the issue. There is a TheaterWide 1 sett ing which does prevent the side from getting cut off, but then the tops get cut off. The other 2 settings are zoomed in even further which is of no u se to me.

Even if I set it to 4:3 mode, so that there are black bars on the sides, th e information on the sides still gets cut off.

J.

Reply to
jaynews

As far as I know, unless the display is set for "dot by dot", there is /some/ overscan in all modes, on every flat-panel display ever made.

Insignia is (I believe) Best Buy's store brand. It does not have a particularly good reputation for reliability.

Before swapping, find out /exactly/ what these displays are supposed to do, and how they operate. Find an older (good luck!) salesperson to assist you.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

I wonder if this a problem with the Toshie upconverter, and if you could circumvent it, for testing, by doing the upconversion in a separate unit, a DVD player of the correct vintage perhaps.

Reply to
Wond

What's the source ? If there is a cable box involved it might have settings which are the culprit. I ean into this with a Sony one time and I literall y put a scope on the output of the box to find the black bars on the sides of the video. Of course the problem was the opposite of this one but still, the TV cannot display what is not there.

Actually what that cable box was doing is exactly what you need in this cas e......

Reply to
jurb6006

True, but, this is the only HDTV in the house that has this issue with 480 pixel widescreen material. In other words, this TV cuts more off the sides than any other HDTV in the house with this low-def widescreen material.

That's what I'm afraid of....exchanging the Toshiba to get rid of the "sides cut off issue" and then getting stuck with something that isn't reliable.

I doubt any salesperson would be able to tell me what 480 pixel widescreen material will look like (i.e. whether the sides get cut off) on the Insignia.

J.

Reply to
jaynews

The source is the composite output of the cable box....and no other TV in t he house has this issue. There is a reason why I must use the composite o utput, because I'm wirelessly sending this signal to various TVs in the hou se (and, yes, the problem happens whether this Toshiba is connected directl y to the composite output of the cable box itself, or if the signal is wire lessly sent to the Toshiba via a sender/reciever) There is no setting on either the cable box itself, or the Toshiba which resolves this issue (whic h ONLY happens with the Toshiba TV)

J.

gs which are the culprit. I ean into this with a Sony one time and I litera lly put a scope on the output of the box to find the black bars on the side s of the video. Of course the problem was the opposite of this one but stil l, the TV cannot display what is not there.

ase......

Reply to
jaynews

Ah. So you're talking about films that are transferred within a 16:9 letterbox, to be vertically compressed to restore the full widescreen aspect ratio. You'll probably have to experiment with each display, to see what it shows and doesn't show.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

The way I think of it, the signals is getting horizontally expanded, and th ey are horizontally expanding it too much....but maybe I'm wrong in thinkin g of it that way.

Anyway, I'd hate to box up the Toshiba, return it, get the Insignia, and fi nd out that it has the same problem. Maybe I should just buy the Insignia, and then return the one that I like the least? Or should I just learn to live with the issue in the Toshiba? (only happens with that TV, no other s in my house)

ect

it

Reply to
jaynews

You need to find out what's going on, and make a rational decision, rather than schlepping boxes.

I would start with the other TVs, and take notes as you watch. Exactly what do they to do to the picture (or not do)? Then compare them with the Toshiba.

Remember, the guy at Best Buy wants to put out the least amount of effort to get you to buy something. It's unlikely he'll be willing to help you make the right choice. It's in your hands.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

The problem is that, at Best Buy, they're using feeding all the TVs a real HD widescreen signal, and the problem only exists (I believe) with a 480 wi descreen signal. So, there isn't any comparison I could make in the store with the type of signal that triggers the problem.

J.

at do

.

the

Reply to
jaynews

All you need do is insert a DVD that's designed for 16:9 playback.

Now, most current BD players are designed to upconvert 480 to 1080. Perhaps Best Buy's player has an option to disable this.

Reply to
William Sommerwerck

William Sommerwerck skrev:

Some stupid stations are transmitting a 16:9 inside a 4:3 signal with their logo at top and subtitles burned in at the bottom.

So on a 16:9 screen, there are black bars at the sides, and dark gray bars at the top and bottom.

Most annoying, the resolution are probably 400x300 or something that low.

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

As far as I know there is no burn-in problem, other than with obsolete CRTs or Plasma displays. LCDs do not burn in.

Reply to
dave

I have the opposite problem, of sorts. If I connect a bluray player over HDMI to my epson projector, and play a DVD the projector tries to make the video fill the screen and then distorts the aspect, usually horribly. It has someting to do with the projector being 16:9 or whatever they are these days.

There's probably a magic combination of settings to disable this nonsense, but the solution is just run RGB cables from and old DVD player to the projector and watch stuff that way. Bluray discs play fine.

I did discover there are "zoom" settings in some of my devices that are digital and have a composite out signal as well. The default setting in a WD live media box, out of the composite port resulted in what seemed to be a ridiculous amount of overscanning on a coventional TV. Menus were chopped off and off the screen. It looked like having "zoom" enabled on some zenith console television. Tinkering with this got it working again with the old TV set.

It's possible your TV has crappy defaults overscan and that just sucks for you. Does your source device have any sort of zoom setting that can be fiddled with to compensate for the TV? I had no idea these even exist, but it does on some devices.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

another person reports this issue

Cydrome Leader