Sharp VCR Tracking Incompatibility

Hello:

I have a Sharp VCR (circa 1995, Model VC-A323U), which I would like to use exclusively for time-shifting. It records and plays just fine (using EP mode throughout this discussion). I have no schematic or service documentation.

When I attempt to play a tape which was recorded on my other VCR however, it struggles for a while attempting to auto-track. The result is "almost" good, but there is some residual vertical "jumping". Figuring it's probably at the limit of the auto-tracker, I have discovered that I can tweak the mechanical A/C tracking slightly, and dial-in a perfect picture. Unfortunately, when I eject and re-insert the tape, it does the same thing (auto-tracks to a less-than-ideal result, jumps vertically). Again, I can tweak the mechanical A/C tracking and achieve a perfect picture. Try as I may, I am unable to converge on a mechanical setting that works consistantly. I'm convinced that this behavior is not erratic ie: the auto-tracking seems to consistantly drive the tracking to the same (poor) spot with residual vertical jumping. This never happens with a self-recorded tape.

I'm not attempting to achieve a result that is "calibrated" against the universal VHS specification. All I'm asking for is to be able to play tapes previously recorded on my "main" VCR. I realize that the "main" VCR could be at fault, but since it's a much newer unit, and I have a history of borrowing / loaning / renting tapes without a problem (as well as a library of archived tapes), I'm unwilling to mess with that one too.

Questions:

Is there any way to defeat the auto-tracking, and just go with my manual A/C tracking setpoint? I assume the "proper" way to adjust the mechanical A/C tracking would involve somehow disabling the auto-tracking so the mechanical position can be centered?

I have read Sam's FAQ, which has a section on tracking incompatibility... One possibility mentioned is the roller guide height. Everything seems tight, and I have not tried altering the height yet. Given my symptom, does this seem like a likely possibility?

Is there some kind of a "bias" in the auto-tracking loop that can be adjusted? I can consistantly adjust the mechanical A/C tracking to achieve a good picture, so perhaps the auto-tracker is simply not seeking the proper sweet spot.

-Thanks Tom

Reply to
MicroFarad