Sharp TV dead update for Tech Data

Ok, to cut it short, the ac line in goes straight to the primary of that transformer. That alone energizes the windings to induce the 24 volt standby source which also goes to the relay, as well as the 12,9 and 5 volt lines. When the relay latches, THEN ac is routed to the primary of the swithcing power supply that provides the B+ for the horizontal circuit. Without the smaller standby transformer working, NOTHING else is going to work. To prove or disprove, use an ohm meter and measure resistance on the two secondary pins of that transformer. I

got a buck says they're open. Should read shorted or near shorted. There may or may not be a thermal fuse inside the transformer but, the way that's designed, you'll destroy it before you get to it. Best to replace.

I finally got around to checking the transformer (after pulling from chassis). There is no standby smaller transformer. Only the big one. Anyhow, I checked the primary windings, and yes, they are open. The secondary is good. After studying the circuit, I agree with your statement above, except about the smaller standby transformer, since it doesn't have one. There is no other transformer on the chassis except for the flyback, which I assume to mean now this is a linear power supply. There is however a (smaller filter transformer? that is first off the main supply), but it's secondary is connected to the "cold" side of the suppy. Nothing connected to the primary. It does check good on primary/secondary. With this said, you have to be right about the primary (big one) supplying the 24V standby voltage, because there is physically no other way for this to be supplied after studying the circuit. Checking the big T in circuit gave inconclusive results because of the filter cap. Again, I'm a beginner. I will follow up post if I repair, based on parts costs. Thanks a million Tech.

Reply to
Golf

First, sorry for assuming it had a switching power supply. Don't have the factory prints on my site and Sams doesn't cover it. This most likely is SCR controlled but, nonetheless, will need the transformer. What I've been doing on these since some of those are discontinued is, buying a Radio Shack transformer and running jumpers to the pads where the old transformer was and mounting, either with screws and nuts or small wire ties, to the inside cabinet. The SKU for the one I use is

273-1512 for about 10bucks. I live in a rural area where everything has to be shipped in and I find this cheaper and more expeditious. Just cut the center tap lead short and hardwire. Works like a champ and you're done. Good luck.

Tech Data

not all units use a pilot/standby xformer, some have a simple supply that runs directly from the mains for the standby circuit. upper end units actually keep a switching unit running 24/7 to operate the low current circuits. when the unit is switched on then its possible the same switcher is put into high power mode or the fly back it self will supply the rest of the required voltages if you have one that is. depends on the type of TV it is. Plasma,DLP, CRTetc..

--
Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5

Thanks. I will try this and post follow up.

Reply to
Golf