Sharp DK-A1 Music System - stuck on Demo

Hi...

I recently acquired one of these, model DK-A1D. I have no idea what the D is for, and a search of the Sharp site only turned up info on A1 & A10 models...none with a D suffix.

The manual I downloaded states that the units go into Demo mode when plugged in, and to exit that mode to press the E Sound/Demo button. I have an E Sound button but it does not say Demo. None of the control buttons, such as On/Standby, Tuner etc have any effect. In Demo mode the LCD display scrolls features. There is no sound.

I thought perhaps the D indicated this was a specially built unit for store demos, but I disassembled it and it appears to be 100% complete. It does not seem logical they would build a special demo unit when all of them have a demo function built in.

Can anyone help with this?

Reply to
Ken123

usually a combination of button presses - power up from mains holding in volume etc.

I am in the same boat; I too have a "D" model. The label on the Sharp box it came in did say, in small print, that the unit was a "display model." I guess their idea of a display is a box with flashing lights, since that is all one can get the thing to do without the remote. I am not clear that the unit would actually work if one did have the remote.

Thanks for the info from Sharp; the manual I got off Sharp's website indicated that the demo mode could be cancelled by pushing the E-sound button on the unit. Not so. Not only does one need the remote to get out of the demo mode, one cannot access most of the features without the remote. The unit is thus useless without the remote, pretty piece of modern sculpture with flashing lights. I found one online vendor of remotes selling the remote for $54. That's nuts. I also saw one vendor on eBay selling the unit cheap who admitted in small print that it had no accessories. I wonder how many of these display units are floating around out there. Unfortunately, the Amazon vendor from whom I bought this turkey states that they will not refund shipping. I'll have to eat the shipping back, I guess. Lesson learned. Caveat emptor!

Reply to
brian.jones

Adding to my previous: I now know that having the remote control does not help. The unit will not exit the demo/display mode even when commanded by a known working remote (which I got by buying a second unit). I looked inside, and all modules are there: power supply, display driver, interface boards, processor board, audio amplifier, and AM/FM tuner. It is a well made unit with especially nice acoustic design inside. The only things working in the demo mode are the display (describing all the units features), the volume control and the equalization control. The unit is locked in the "Aux" mode, and the RCA phono connectors in the back are live. I plugged my mp3 player in, and it sounded great. I guess this demo unit is useful only as a nice amplifier, though I feel sure all the circuitry necessary for normal operation is present. There is a ten-pin (approx) header-type connector under a small access panel in the rear, and I suspect that the unit can be tested and programmed through this connector. I don't know how to do that sort of thing, so I am stuck (even if I did have the pin-out). That's what I know. Hope it helps someone else. BJ

Reply to
brian.jones