Service policy for Samsung 50" HDTV?

I'm considering buying a 50" Samsung HDTV (HLR5067W). Should I also purchase the service contract they sell with it? (Cost: about $400.)

The salesmen at the stores that sell large-screen TVs all warn me that replacing the main bulb in this machine costs $400 or so just for the bulb, and that I'll need to have a service technician do that repair.

What's your recommendation on service policies on such units?

Reply to
Al

Al wrote: : I'm considering buying a 50" Samsung HDTV (HLR5067W). Should I also : purchase the service contract they sell with it? (Cost: about $400.)

: The salesmen at the stores that sell large-screen TVs all warn me that : replacing the main bulb in this machine costs $400 or so just for the : bulb, and that I'll need to have a service technician do that repair.

: What's your recommendation on service policies on such units?

Generally those service contracts are just money makers for the stores that sell them and don't work in your favor for the most part.

If you want to rest easy, stick the $400 into a bank account and use it towards the repair if the set breaks down.

The set you are looking at (it's a DLP) does use a bulb which will burn out at some point, but these days it'll probably croak long after that repair contract runs out.

So when that happens, you are out the $400 for the contract and will have to cough up another $400 to replace it on a set that is a few years old and cost around $2000.

Doesn't make sense, does it?

-bruce snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Reply to
Bruce Esquibel

Don't buy them. They are designed to make money for the store.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Don't think the bulb of a DLP is included in these contracts anyhow. When the bulb goes, it is considered a consumable, and not a manufacturing defect (just like printer cartridges). Regular wear and tear. I never take these service contracts anyhow. Just like when just under 3 years ago, the salesman tried to sell me a service contract for a DVD burner.. Burner back then was something like $120, and the service contract was $30... And now (3 years later) new burners (4 times faster) can be had for $50.. :) Definately not worth it. In my case, I got lucky that the unit died on me 10 months after I bought it, and the manufacturer actually arranged to have it picked up by Fedex, and was then sent a replacement free of charge (not even shipping) and a nice upgrade (went from a 2X burner to thier latest 16X burner at the time). Hey I definately got my money's worth., nd the unit has been working like a charm... Due to competition, they work with very low markups on the hardware, and try to make up for it, by selling you these contracts, accessories, monster cables, power conditioners, etc. which have huge markups.. Within the first year, you have the manufacturer's warranty usually anyhow, and if all is good for first year, usually the odds are it will last at least 5 years before anything goes wrong, which at that point the contract is expired. And in most cases, the repir will be less than or around $400 if you are unlucky.

Good Luck.

"Bruce Esquibel" wrote in message news:dgrti8$9af$ snipped-for-privacy@e250.ripco.com...

that

out

MTLnews

Al wrote: : I'm considering buying a 50" Samsung HDTV (HLR5067W). Should I also : purchase the service contract they sell with it? (Cost: about $400.)

: The salesmen at the stores that sell large-screen TVs all warn me that : replacing the main bulb in this machine costs $400 or so just for the : bulb, and that I'll need to have a service technician do that repair.

: What's your recommendation on service policies on such units?

Another cheaper option is 3rd party plans offered by Repairmaster and Mack. The Repairmaster plan has had favorable discussion on avsforum and Mack has a long history of camera service plans and now offer electronics coverage. Both plans offer bulb replacement coverage separate, but you still have to buy regular coverage to get the bulb replacement coverage. The price of these plans are cheaper than those quoted by CC or BB.

Reply to
kmy

Mack doesn't get good reviews:

Travis Jordan

Also check that it is a service contract, not an extended guarantee. Service contracts cover everything (or at least they should) but the guarantees exclude normal wear and tear

David - who would find a local trusted repairer if he was going to pay for a service contract

Reply to
quietguy

Art