Semi OT, drip coffee makers - Page 2

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

I'd never heard of cold brew until this thread.  I made some yesterday.  I was surprised at how much the beans soak up, you're definitely right about the amount it makes.  I used 4 cups water, thought I'd get 4 cups back, not even close.

The internet is all over the place on recipe ratios, mostly because people confuse weight and volume.  Near as I can tell, a good ratio is about 1 coffee to 4 water by volume, or 1 coffee to 8 water by weight.  (Or mass.  Please let's not go there.)

My family buys a lot of expensive iced coffee, maybe this will save some money.

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

I wouldn't worry about the ratios for brewing.  Brew it strong and
dilute to taste.

You need to let the beans soak overnight to get a proper brew.  A friend
who showed me this used a pound of coffee in a special container and
covered the grounds.  Into the fridge overnight.  The next day the plug
was removed from the bottom and a large felt filter let the coffee
liqueur was drained into a carafe along with some washing of the
grounds.  Pour some into a coffee cup and dilute to taste.  It didn't
make as much as hot brewing, but was soooo good.

The large felt filter made a world of difference.  Using the Melita
paper filters is terrible because they quickly clog stopping the filtering.

Once she froze the liqueur in ice cube trays so that a cube would make a
cup of coffee.  Then it would keep indefinitely.  I think that would be
great for iced coffee.

--

Rick C

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

Not entirely true. Sitting it on the heat mostly spoils the taste
by burning oily resins that don't get extracted in a cold brew.

Yes. And it reheats better too.

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

What does that have to do with anything?  Those components are only a
problem when overheated.  In fact, some people don't care for cold
brewed coffee because it loses some of the taste they are used to.  They
*like* the taste of hot brewed coffee when fresh.  Cold brewed coffee
tastes almost like chocolate to me... not that I mind that...  :)

I tried cold brewing a batch here where my water is from a well and full
of various things.  It didn't turn out so well.  I guess I could use
bottled water.  The water isn't an issue with hot brewing.

If you say so.

--

Rick C

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers
We did taste tests today.

Drinking it black, cold brew was clearly better.

But none of us drink it black.  My family adds huge amounts of creamer, and I put a tablespoon each of butter and coconut oil in every cup.

One advantage of concentrate is not having to wash the pot daily.

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

I think you should be locked away for your own good.  :-P

--

Rick C

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

It's called "bulletproof coffee", probably because you need a
bulletproof stomach. ;)

Popular with the keto diet crowd.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

The theory is that fat calories in the morning tend to speed your metabolism.  Most caloric output comes from resting metabolism, not from exercise.

I don't know if it really works or not but it delays any craving for a snack until lunch, and that's a good thing.

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

You can justify anything diet and weight gain related that you want if
you cite the right source.

"New evidence from our group, published in the American Journal of
Clinical Nutrition, found that those assigned to eat breakfast used more
energy through physical activity (in particular during the morning) than
those fasting. "

"Contrary to popular belief, researchers now say breakfast doesn?t
kickstart the metabolism and may not be the most important meal of the
day. A new study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition had more
than 300 overweight participants consume diets that included either
eating or skipping breakfast. At the end of 16 weeks, dieters who ate
breakfast lost no more weight than the breakfast skippers. "

Which one is right?  Notice they both refer to the same journal although
they don't cite an article specifically (it may even be the same article).

The argument that most calories are burned through base metabolism is
not relevant to the issue.  If you can burn 100 extra calories a day
through exercise that is the same as boosting your base metabolism by
100 calories.  One difference is you don't have to eat 100 extra
calories to burn the extra 100 calories through exercise.

--

Rick C

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

That's just not true. Hot brewing is a balance between not extracting
enough of the fine flavours, and extracting too many unpleasant bitter
ones. Cold brewing simply doesn't extract the bitter flavours that
come from heavier resins, etc. Obviously there will be people who
like bitter flavours anyhow; but to most people they taste bad even
before they've been burnt.

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

That must be why so few people enjoy hot brewed coffee.

--

Rick C

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

You never pass up the opportunity to show how thick you are, do you?

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

It's not hard to understand.  Different people have different tastes.
As I have already said, not all people prefer cold brewed coffee.  It's
that simple.  Taste is a matter of... taste.  It's a bit silly to say,
"to most people they taste bad even before they've been burnt." You said
that yourself.  Obviously there are plenty of people who like hot brewed
coffee when done properly.  So what are you going on about?

--

Rick C

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

Baristas know that if the extraction is too hot or too long, the
taste is spoiled by the heavier oils and resins. Too short or too
cool and you don't get all the nice flavours. Popular taste is
around some middle point, with outliers on both sides, of course.
But it's a balance that must be struck.

Cold brew avoids the problem by getting almost all the nice flavours
(though very slowly - hours instead of seconds) without mobilising
the heavier elements. You can re-heat it without the worsening the
effect of those, because they basically aren't present. The only
reason it's not much more common is because it's not quick enough.

Did that make it easier for you to follow? Do your own reading on
the subject, you'll find that a lot of informed opinion agrees.

Since leaving Melbourne (one of the premier coffee-drinking cities
worldwide) I've gone "full Melbourne" in my own coffee tastes,
grinding my own beans right before every brew. I'm about to find
some coffee plants to grow my own - they fruit well in Sydney. Pity
that most of Sydney doesn't know how to make a good coffee!

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

You are being silly.  We are talking about personal tastes and you talk
about how a coffee shop has to hit a "sweet spot" to please the most
customers.

You are still missing the point that what are good and bad tastes are
personal preferences.  NOT EVERYONE PREFERS COLD BREWED COFFEE!

We seem to be getting nowhere in this.  So I guess I'm done.

--

Rick C

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers
On Sun, 14 May 2017 16:08:04 +1000, Clifford Heath

Where I live is a few miles from a small roaster. One of the owners is
a client of my wife. So she gets coffee from them. And boy is it good.
My wife makes excellent coffee. I'm the cook in the house but she is
the coffee master. Now I want to try this cold brewed coffee after
reading all about it. I guess I'm spoiled by the good coffee because I
won't even try to drink a mediocre brew. I'll wait or go without. I'm
not as particular about the beer I drink. Or the gin, as long as it's
at least a certain level of quality. I think the only thing I drink
that I'm as picky about is cognac. But The stuff I like is spendy
enough that I don't drink much.
Eric

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

I couldn't get a decent cup of coffee in Melbourne two years ago. No
cream or even "half and half" -- only black or milk.

Perce

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

nt
three times to long.  15 minutes is the absolute maximum coffee can stay on
 direct heat in my opinion.  Decanted into a prewarmed insulated carafe, co
ffee will still be quite potable for many hours with no loss of flavor or g
ain of bitterness IMO.
ticularly sensitive to overly heated coffee.
a cold brew concentrate in a coffee machine.  I've had this several times i
n several fine restaurants, and it's amazing - enough so that the first tim
e I had it I had to corner the manager and ask how they "brewed" it.  Stron
g and complex flavors without a hint of bitterness or any defects such as a
ftertaste.  Why this hasn't become a hit in the consumer end is beyond me.
wn

The way it was explained to me is that the machine was analogous to getting
 Coke from a fountain dispenser.  The coffee machine was preloaded with the
 concentrated mix, and when the button was pushed, the machine would mix th
e concentrate with boiling water and dispense it into the cup.  Sort of lik
e a Keurig in operation but with no disposable cups.

Never had a cup of coffee so tasty and smooth.

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

You make up the cold-brew in concentrated form... steep the ground
beans in cold water for a while, then filter.  You can store the
filtered concentrate in the 'fridge for quite a while in a sealed
container.  It might even freeze OK - I'm not sure.

To consume it, you dilute 1 part of the concentrate with several parts
of hot water.  Balance the ratio, and the temperature to which you
pre-heat the hot water, to get the strength and temperature that you
prefer.

I don't think there's any need to microwave, stove-heat, or otherwise
warm the concentrate at all (and risk scorching it).

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

.... and right after it's done brewing, pour the pot into it and shut off t
he

I've always said that if you want to make Starbucks coffee at home, brew a
weak pot of coffee and let it sit on the heat for 8 hours. Weak, burnt, and
 bitter coffee for a lot less than Starbucks charges.

We do the same.  As soon as the brew cycle is finished we get the pot off t
he built in hot plate and poor what's left (after serving our first two cup
s) into an insulated carafe.

I was fortunate to find a vintage Thermos Coffee Butler (made in W. Germany
) on ebay for $15 delivered in never used condition to replace the one we h
ad that suffered an internal glass breakage.  The generic one that we had d
id not keep anything hot for more than an hour.   The vintage Coffee Butler
 will keep hot coffee HOT for 8 hours at least without imparting that burnt
 and bitter taste that keeping direct heat on it causes.

Site Timeline