Semi OT, drip coffee makers

The absolute WORST cup of coffee I've ever had was an "in flight" cup given to me by the flight engineer while I was sitting in a jump seat behind the pilot on a Flying Tigers freight run from Los Angeles to Orlando around 1985. I swear they had to have made it with used hydraulic oil.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi

on't

er,

ree times to long. 15 minutes is the absolute maximum coffee can stay on d irect heat in my opinion. Decanted into a prewarmed insulated carafe, coff ee will still be quite potable for many hours with no loss of flavor or gai n of bitterness IMO.

cularly sensitive to overly heated coffee.

cold brew concentrate in a coffee machine. I've had this several times in several fine restaurants, and it's amazing - enough so that the first time I had it I had to corner the manager and ask how they "brewed" it. Strong and complex flavors without a hint of bitterness or any defects such as aft ertaste. Why this hasn't become a hit in the consumer end is beyond me.

So it's warmed up after cold brewing? I could handle that, make a big pot and leave it in the frig for days. (As is I often dump 1/3 of the pot down the sink.) I'll go read about cold brewing.

George H.

Reply to
ggherold

You can chill hot brewed coffee too. What kills it is sitting on the heat. Just turn off the burner once it is brewed and warm a cup at a time in the microwave. It's not perfectly like fresh brewed, but it doesn't get ruined.

Cold brewing is a whole different thing that produces much better coffee to start with. I've never seen a way to do it that produces as much coffee from the same amount of beans though. I remember a college roommate who would put a percolator on the stove boiling furiously and take a shower. The whole house would reek of the smell of burnt coffee. He was using it solely for the drug content without regard to taste.

--

Rick C
Reply to

nt

three times to long. 15 minutes is the absolute maximum coffee can stay on direct heat in my opinion. Decanted into a prewarmed insulated carafe, co ffee will still be quite potable for many hours with no loss of flavor or g ain of bitterness IMO.

ticularly sensitive to overly heated coffee.

a cold brew concentrate in a coffee machine. I've had this several times i n several fine restaurants, and it's amazing - enough so that the first tim e I had it I had to corner the manager and ask how they "brewed" it. Stron g and complex flavors without a hint of bitterness or any defects such as a ftertaste. Why this hasn't become a hit in the consumer end is beyond me.

wn

The way it was explained to me is that the machine was analogous to getting Coke from a fountain dispenser. The coffee machine was preloaded with the concentrated mix, and when the button was pushed, the machine would mix th e concentrate with boiling water and dispense it into the cup. Sort of lik e a Keurig in operation but with no disposable cups.

Never had a cup of coffee so tasty and smooth.

Reply to
ohger1s

You make up the cold-brew in concentrated form... steep the ground beans in cold water for a while, then filter. You can store the filtered concentrate in the 'fridge for quite a while in a sealed container. It might even freeze OK - I'm not sure.

To consume it, you dilute 1 part of the concentrate with several parts of hot water. Balance the ratio, and the temperature to which you pre-heat the hot water, to get the strength and temperature that you prefer.

I don't think there's any need to microwave, stove-heat, or otherwise warm the concentrate at all (and risk scorching it).

Reply to
Dave Platt

I'd never heard of cold brew until this thread. I made some yesterday. I was surprised at how much the beans soak up, you're definitely right about the amount it makes. I used 4 cups water, thought I'd get 4 cups back, not even close.

The internet is all over the place on recipe ratios, mostly because people confuse weight and volume. Near as I can tell, a good ratio is about 1 coffee to 4 water by volume, or 1 coffee to 8 water by weight. (Or mass. Please let's not go there.)

My family buys a lot of expensive iced coffee, maybe this will save some money.

Reply to
Tim R

I wouldn't worry about the ratios for brewing. Brew it strong and dilute to taste.

You need to let the beans soak overnight to get a proper brew. A friend who showed me this used a pound of coffee in a special container and covered the grounds. Into the fridge overnight. The next day the plug was removed from the bottom and a large felt filter let the coffee liqueur was drained into a carafe along with some washing of the grounds. Pour some into a coffee cup and dilute to taste. It didn't make as much as hot brewing, but was soooo good.

The large felt filter made a world of difference. Using the Melita paper filters is terrible because they quickly clog stopping the filtering.

Once she froze the liqueur in ice cube trays so that a cube would make a cup of coffee. Then it would keep indefinitely. I think that would be great for iced coffee.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Not entirely true. Sitting it on the heat mostly spoils the taste by burning oily resins that don't get extracted in a cold brew.

Yes. And it reheats better too.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

What does that have to do with anything? Those components are only a problem when overheated. In fact, some people don't care for cold brewed coffee because it loses some of the taste they are used to. They

*like* the taste of hot brewed coffee when fresh. Cold brewed coffee tastes almost like chocolate to me... not that I mind that... :)

I tried cold brewing a batch here where my water is from a well and full of various things. It didn't turn out so well. I guess I could use bottled water. The water isn't an issue with hot brewing.

If you say so.

--

Rick C
Reply to

We did taste tests today.

Drinking it black, cold brew was clearly better.

But none of us drink it black. My family adds huge amounts of creamer, and I put a tablespoon each of butter and coconut oil in every cup.

One advantage of concentrate is not having to wash the pot daily.

Reply to
Tim R

I think you should be locked away for your own good. :-P

--

Rick C
Reply to

It's called "bulletproof coffee", probably because you need a bulletproof stomach. ;)

Popular with the keto diet crowd.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

That's just not true. Hot brewing is a balance between not extracting enough of the fine flavours, and extracting too many unpleasant bitter ones. Cold brewing simply doesn't extract the bitter flavours that come from heavier resins, etc. Obviously there will be people who like bitter flavours anyhow; but to most people they taste bad even before they've been burnt.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

That must be why so few people enjoy hot brewed coffee.

--

Rick C
Reply to

You never pass up the opportunity to show how thick you are, do you?

Reply to
Clifford Heath

It's not hard to understand. Different people have different tastes. As I have already said, not all people prefer cold brewed coffee. It's that simple. Taste is a matter of... taste. It's a bit silly to say, "to most people they taste bad even before they've been burnt." You said that yourself. Obviously there are plenty of people who like hot brewed coffee when done properly. So what are you going on about?

--

Rick C
Reply to

Baristas know that if the extraction is too hot or too long, the taste is spoiled by the heavier oils and resins. Too short or too cool and you don't get all the nice flavours. Popular taste is around some middle point, with outliers on both sides, of course. But it's a balance that must be struck.

Cold brew avoids the problem by getting almost all the nice flavours (though very slowly - hours instead of seconds) without mobilising the heavier elements. You can re-heat it without the worsening the effect of those, because they basically aren't present. The only reason it's not much more common is because it's not quick enough.

Did that make it easier for you to follow? Do your own reading on the subject, you'll find that a lot of informed opinion agrees.

Since leaving Melbourne (one of the premier coffee-drinking cities worldwide) I've gone "full Melbourne" in my own coffee tastes, grinding my own beans right before every brew. I'm about to find some coffee plants to grow my own - they fruit well in Sydney. Pity that most of Sydney doesn't know how to make a good coffee!

Reply to
Clifford Heath

You are being silly. We are talking about personal tastes and you talk about how a coffee shop has to hit a "sweet spot" to please the most customers.

You are still missing the point that what are good and bad tastes are personal preferences. NOT EVERYONE PREFERS COLD BREWED COFFEE!

We seem to be getting nowhere in this. So I guess I'm done.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Where I live is a few miles from a small roaster. One of the owners is a client of my wife. So she gets coffee from them. And boy is it good. My wife makes excellent coffee. I'm the cook in the house but she is the coffee master. Now I want to try this cold brewed coffee after reading all about it. I guess I'm spoiled by the good coffee because I won't even try to drink a mediocre brew. I'll wait or go without. I'm not as particular about the beer I drink. Or the gin, as long as it's at least a certain level of quality. I think the only thing I drink that I'm as picky about is cognac. But The stuff I like is spendy enough that I don't drink much. Eric

Reply to
etpm

I couldn't get a decent cup of coffee in Melbourne two years ago. No cream or even "half and half" -- only black or milk.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy