Semi OT, drip coffee makers

I brew a pot of coffee every morning.
(electric) Drip coffee makers last about 6-12 months,
before something goes bad.
Often I can take 'em apart and find the bad bit.
This limps them along for another 6-12 months.
(I wasn't able to find the bad bit in the latest Mr coffee that
failed... grumble. (And the f'ing security bits.))
A new one is ~$30-40.  Do I just keep throwing them
out?  Another solution?  I'll use a hand poured drip tomorrow,  heat
water on stove pour through, let drip, add more hot water.
But I really like the convenience of pushing a button,
going off for the morning ablution, and coming back to a cuppa.
(Is cuppa only for a cup of tea.. in Oz?)

George H.

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

Theres cold brew but it's a lot more messing about.

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

Freaking delicious though.

--

Rick C

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

I have a couple of Gevalia-branded ones that have lasted for years and
years.  Ebay is your friend. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

I took a look and there are a number of different Gevalia models.

In fact, it is amazing the proliferation of coffee makers.  There may be
more types of coffee makers than there are types of coffee!

--

Rick C

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

Isn't the failure usually the thermal fuse?

A friend has a $600 coffee maker, more like an expresso machine really
and it might be a lot more than $600, I don't recall, a fancy German
unit.  It crapped out and they found a video showing the likely culprit
to be a power transistor.  They got me in the loop and I confirmed that
was the likely failure and ordered a new part and put it in when it
came.  Worked like a charm!  It was quite a piece of work and made the
standard drip brewers look like total junk which is what they are.

I use the drip and don't mind waiting the 90 seconds it takes to heat
the water on the stove.  A friend has a small water heater that works
just as fast as the stove if not faster and doesn't lose as much heat to
the room while doing it.  I have no idea where she found it, maybe at an
Asian food store, the construction reminds me of a small rice maker,
which I want to buy.  I guess I need to check ebay.

--

Rick C

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

Sometimes yeah... I've 'fixed' maybe 3 of these now.
This time not.  Last night I was thinking it could be something
in the micro processor, But I couldn't (didn't work very long)
get into it.  Hmm maybe I can ditch the uP and just put voltages
on the wires to turn the relays on and off.. there's ~6-8 wires coming
from the uP area.

George H.

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

What is most likely bad?  Switches or connectors.  I don't think I would
bother trying to fix the MCU.  If you are convinced it's not a fuse or
contact, I would suggest buying a new one this time.  These things can
start house fires.

Have you considered a French press?  I guess you still have to boil the
water.

Maybe you should complain to the coffee machine maker?  I had a shower
head from Water Pic once and the collar broke after a couple years.  I
wrote them complaining about the collar being made of plastic and they
sent me a metal one.  Maybe Mr. Coffee makes a decent unit that won't go
bad a month after the warranty is up.

--

Rick C

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers
You can make the situation 3-4 times better by buying the cheap
coffee makers when they are on sale for $9.99.  I've never
had one fail.  One had the on/off switch right on the front
begging for you to spill coffee on it.  I taped a piece of
plastic over that to protect it.

An electric kettle to boil water and a French Press makes
pretty good coffee, but it's a PITA to use.  Funnel with
paper filter is easier to toss.  I made about a gallon
at a session and stuck it in the fridge.  Obviously,
I'm not a connoisseur.

My latest venture is into Keurig Gen 1.
You can find them for cheap to free at garage sales and
thrift stores.  They're broke, no matter what they say.
Buy two.
Take the good solenoid from one and replace the always
bad solenoid in the other one.  Put a switch on the plug,
cuz that solenoid is always engaged, even when you think
you turned the power off.  And it sits right next to the
water heater.
Use the DIY K-cups.  No sending plastic to the landfill
and the cup of coffee costs about 10% of what you'd pay
for the real thing.  But it's still a PITA to empty/refill
the cups.
Keep a few of the real K-cups on hand so you can impress
visitors with your extravagance and wanton disregard for the
environment. ;-)

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers
A switch I can fix.  All the ones I see around here (amazon)
have timer's and other bells and whistles I don't need (or want.)

I was thinking I might find an old used simple coffee maker on ebay.

My mother in law has an old drip maker that must be ~10-20 years old.

No Kerig!  I know they are all the rage, but I like to grind my own
beans and then make one big pot.  (I'm an old fart and I don't want
change. :^)

And what's the average lifetime of a Kerig?

George H.

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

I'm guessing less than two years based on what
I'm seeing at garage sales.
That solenoid runs very hot 24/7.
The plastic valve disintegrates.
If you plug it in for 5 minutes a few times a day,
it should last forever.  At least, that's what I'm
hoping for.
The real K-cup coffee does taste better than the refillable
ones.  I've done a lot of experiments to try to improve that,
but the only ones that improved the situation used proprietary
filters that cost about as much as the coffee you're brewing.

The drip pots I've used had nothing but a switch and a heating
element (plus the safety thermal cutout).  Not much to go wrong.
I always turned them off immediately and reheated the contents
in the microwave a cup at a time as needed.

I still like the coffee made in the French Press better.
Made it once a week and put a gallon of it in the fridge.
But it takes half an hour to run several cycles thru the press
and clean up.

This thread made me realize that the only reason I use the Keurig
is my emotional investment in fixing it and all the little
DIY K-cup versions that I collected.  And the coffee tastes
worse than the alternatives.

Where did I put that French Press???

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

Brewed coffee keeps perfectly fine in the fridge.  But tossing all those
coffee grounds is such a waste.  They are excellent for compost and
vermiculture.  My roommate would have a cup every day and the worms love
both the filter and the grounds.  But he is living with his girlfriend
and the worms are suffering caffeine withdrawal.

Indeed!

--

Rick C

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

I dunno which one you are using but around here, the basic "just a switch"
Mr.Coffee 12 cup is only around $15 not including tax.

I've never had the base unit go bad, we're on our 3rd one in 15 years and
they are only replaced when we break the glass pot. Sounds stupid (and it
is) but they (Target) wants $14.99 for the replacement pot alone and a penny
less ($14.98) for the whole thing. So I have a couple spare base units under
the counter.

Like you, it's in use at least once a day.

It just dawned on me, what we do that is probably different is we don't
leave it running after the coffee is brewed. We always use a decanter,
something like this:

http://www.target.com/p/copco-carafe-2-quarts-brushed-stainless-steel/-/A-16547936

and right after it's done brewing, pour the pot into it and shut off the
base unit. So the base just brews and we don't use it to keep the coffee
warmed. I suppose if the base is left on for hours at a time it'll shorten
the life span quite a bit.

So I guess if you picked up a decanter and get into the habit of using it,
the Mr.Coffee will probably outlive you.

-bruce
snipped-for-privacy@ripco.com

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers
Yeah that might be part of it.  I leave to warmer on and they now have
timers to turn it off after 2hrs or something.

I've also lost a number of glass carafes.. I'm very cautious with the
carafe.  I wash and dry it and put it right back into the machine.
(most breakage seems to happen when the pot is left next to or in the
sink and something else bumps it.  A stainless steel pot is one answer.

Thanks Bruce,
George H.

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

The 'gold cup' SCAA coffee standard is 45 minutes.   A local restaurant
a few years ago had timers and signs, and always had great coffee,
presumably partly because they followed that rule.  There are brewers
that don't have a warmer at all, just brew directly into a Dewar
flask.   I'm sold on that.   Like this:

<https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Coffee-Optimal-Thermal-Stainless/dp/B010SN80UK>

But if you really want good coffee... read this

<http://gizmodo.com/5642561/seeking-mojo-chasing-the-perfect-cup-of-coffee-through-science

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

Right during the week it's only on for ~10-15 minutes.
During the weekend it may be longer, but as you say the
coffee slowly goes from coffee to Java to Joe. (my terms).
You can stand the spoon up in Joe. :^)

George H.
 There are brewers

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers
't
,

With nothing except my own palate to go on, I'd say that 45 minutes is thre
e times to long.  15 minutes is the absolute maximum coffee can stay on dir
ect heat in my opinion.  Decanted into a prewarmed insulated carafe, coffee
 will still be quite potable for many hours with no loss of flavor or gain
of bitterness IMO.

My wife and I both drink coffee black, which is why I believe we're particu
larly sensitive to overly heated coffee.

BTW, the best coffee I've ever had is coffee that's reconstituted from a co
ld brew concentrate in a coffee machine.  I've had this several times in se
veral fine restaurants, and it's amazing - enough so that the first time I
had it I had to corner the manager and ask how they "brewed" it.  Strong an
d complex flavors without a hint of bitterness or any defects such as after
taste.  Why this hasn't become a hit in the consumer end is beyond me.

BEST     COFFEE     EVER

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers
The absolute WORST cup of coffee I've ever had was an "in
flight" cup given to me by the flight engineer while I
was sitting in a jump seat behind the pilot on a Flying
Tigers freight run from Los Angeles to Orlando around 1985.
I swear they had to have made it with used hydraulic oil.

--
Jeff-1.0
wa6fwi
on't
er,
ree times to long.  15 minutes is the absolute maximum coffee can stay on d
irect heat in my opinion.  Decanted into a prewarmed insulated carafe, coff
ee will still be quite potable for many hours with no loss of flavor or gai
n of bitterness IMO.
cularly sensitive to overly heated coffee.
cold brew concentrate in a coffee machine.  I've had this several times in
several fine restaurants, and it's amazing - enough so that the first time
I had it I had to corner the manager and ask how they "brewed" it.  Strong
and complex flavors without a hint of bitterness or any defects such as aft
ertaste.  Why this hasn't become a hit in the consumer end is beyond me.

So it's warmed up after cold brewing?  I could handle that, make a big pot
and leave it in the frig for days.  (As is I often dump 1/3 of the pot down

the sink.)  I'll go read about cold brewing.

George H.

Re: Semi OT, drip coffee makers

You can chill hot brewed coffee too.  What kills it is sitting on the
heat.  Just turn off the burner once it is brewed and warm a cup at a
time in the microwave.  It's not perfectly like fresh brewed, but it
doesn't get ruined.

Cold brewing is a whole different thing that produces much better coffee
to start with.  I've never seen a way to do it that produces as much
coffee from the same amount of beans though.  I remember a college
roommate who would put a percolator on the stove boiling furiously and
take a shower.  The whole house would reek of the smell of burnt coffee.
  He was using it solely for the drug content without regard to taste.

--

Rick C

Site Timeline