Selectivity vs. sensitivity

The GE "SuperRadio" comes immediately to mind.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

Maybe not, but...

In the old days there were stations that sounded better when off tuned, and I mean with the dual tuning meters. This can only be because the multipath was at the edge of the IF bandwidth and mistuning took it out of the passb and. If so, the simple loss of the harmonics obviously caused less distorti on than the multipath would.

Luxman believed it and had a ine for a few years that actually detected mul tipath and would actually mistune a station for lowest distortion based on the multipath measurement obviously.

Thus, even better would be variable control of both the upper and lower sid ebands. this would allow you to tune in the center of the detector range an d do what the Luxman did, or what mistuning did a long time ago. Adjusting it manually would be a different story of course, few people could figure i t out.

However being in the center of the detector range is simply not important n ow that they usually have a much wider range than the IF bandwidth. The Lux man engineers probably figured that is would be pretty rare for the multipa th to happen at both sidebands and figured that the easiest way to do it wo uld be mistuning.

I have seen such a tuner in action. It would tune of course, then it went i nto the test type mode and you could see the tuning indicator change and th ere was another small indicator on there that I think indicated the detecte d multipath.

That was actually one of the best mix/match systems I heard. The Luxman was a receiver and fed a pair of ADS which had blown tweeters. The other amp f ed a Bose Acoustimass system with the satellites right on top of the ADS'. And I could not get it to clip. I shook the floor pretty good, and the hous e was built on a slab. Longwood, Florida, every house is on a slab unless y ou are filthy rich and want to waste money. Certain times of the year if yo u stand in one spot out in the yard you start sinking, that is if the fire ants don't get to you and make you go in. Of course there was also the alli gator in the swamp next door...

Anyway, I think DXing anything is not what it once was. All the digital gar bage on the signal, you limit the IF bandwidth that is sure to cause some d istortion. And even some of the best old tuners need a modification just to handle the signal without spurting a bunch of noise into it. As far as DXi ng TV which I used to do, that is over period. It seems like they don't wan t us watching things that are not meant for the area. Like Canadian news I used to watch on CFPL, channel 10. Now we have the internet and they are ha ving a hard time stopping that. Ever look at RT ? Sure they are biased, but they are not off the wall. Even PressTV, biased ? Sure, but CNN ain't ? Bu llshit.

And BTW, you can get most FM in the country on iheartradio.com I think, tho ugh it may have limitations applied. Like youtube "this video is not availa ble in your country". But there are programs that can spoof your location. Consider them the new DX antennae.

Reply to
jurb6006

I beg to differ. WAMU and KCSP both considers Baltimore within their coverage area: It should be possible to hear both in Baltimore with a decent car antenna and receiver.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com