Sears SR3000 RGB Monitor (Circa 1986)

Hi,

I just recovered the old monitor that I used to use for my C64 and later for my game systems. After recovering it, I tried to use it with my vintage NES. When I turned it on, I had major trouble adjusting the color, but everything else more or less worked. I opened the case to try to clear any gunk that had accumulated near the front, but after reassembling it , I get nothing on the screen. Just black. (Audio works better than before though ;) )

Is there something obvious that might have happened? Is it dead? Is there a way that I can verify it's dead?

ps. I'm an electronics n00b.

Reply to
richard.j.childress

Throw it in the back of your Model-A and take it to a dump.

Or monitor recycling center.

Reply to
Rick

Thanks for the helpful advice!

Reply to
richard.j.childress

Sorry, just kidding. Actually I have very fond memories of my =C64.. I learned 65xx assembly language on it (anyone remember HESMON?)

Anyway, if you've never tried one of the Commodore emulators (e.g. MAME32) they are a kick and a half.

Reply to
Rick

np ;)

I'm just trying to squeeze a little more life out of this monitor. It always had a MUCH better picture for video game systems than any TV I'd seen.

Reply to
richard.j.childress

"Rick" wrote in news:65kye.3787$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net:

Does Mame emulate a C64?

Reply to
Dave

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1120519379.109716.190370 @f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

How many things did you unplug while in there? Just remove the cover again and re-check all the connections that may have become unconnected. That's about it. I doubt you killed it.

p.s. You have some voltage (you are getting sound) but no high voltage at the tube. Check the connector at the back of the tube, and any wires going from the tube to the circuit board.

Obligitory: Don't shock yourself, you can die trying to fix a $1 monior :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

No, but MESS does.

RC
Reply to
Rinse Cycle

"Rinse Cycle" ha scritto nel messaggio news:n9nye.17143$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyc.rr.com...

Don't mIss to download the correct ROM S ! But playing on the real machine is better...

I.

Reply to
Inty

ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

It's an RGB Monitor. Reopen it, deconnect everything, make sure that you haven't damaged the board (carefully inspect it) nor any component(S) on it. Reconnect all the connectors in the right place, ON !

I.

Reply to
Inty

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com ha escrito:

you'll have to give us more than that. check: filaments lit? HV present? raster? (turn up G2) checked for cracked soldering on mainboard, esp. near input sockets and filament connector?

see

carry out the above and then repost with your results regards, Ben

Ben,

There is a faint glow (orange-yellow) in the tube on the back of the display when powered on.

The video-in jack(?) is a little loose, but so is the audio jack and it works fine. I don't see any connectors that are loose.

I'll read the FAQ and go from there. Thanks.

Reply to
richard.j.childress

Try adjusting the control on the flyback transformer marked "screen" or "G2". When you turn this clockwise, you should see something on the screen. If you only see a think horizontal line, look for a switch on the CRT board, or main board that's labeled "service" and try switching it. If you then get a picture change it back to the service mode and adjust the screen control until you get a very dim white line. Andy Cuffe

snipped-for-privacy@psu.edu

Reply to
Andy Cuffe

"Rinse Cycle" wrote in news:n9nye.17143$XB2.4722247 @twister.nyc.rr.com:

I almost thought that Mame could, except maybe for the SID. I think some (many?) arcade games used the 65xx processor. I've used CCS64 as a 64 emulator.

I haven't looked at MESS for quite a long time. I can't believe how many systems it emulates, or that are in progress! I'll have to check it out.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

When looking for the flyback transformer (didn't know what it was) I noticed a connector that was loose. Now I get a lit screen (bluish-white), with white lines. (!)

The service switch you mentioned before (labeled SER NOR) is on "normal". When I switch it to "SER" the aforementioned white line can be seen.

I've turned both knobs on the side of the flyback transformer labeled "screen" and "focus" with neither changing the picture.

At least I know the screen is getting power and isn't dead. Any ideas?

Reply to
richard.j.childress

Sounds like the focus and screen wires from the flyback aren't connected for some reason, look for more connectors that may have come loose.

Reply to
James Sweet

Screen and focus will change the output, I mispoke.

What I meant to say was that nothing that I can change (knobs, switches, etc) can bring my video input to the screen.

Sorry.

Reply to
richard.j.childress