SE Electronics, Z5600 A, studio mic with a valve in it for the right sort of noise presumably

Someone has been messing about with the 8 pin connector to the power supply and it is turning freely. Is there an impedance transformer inside the casing at the top of the mic, its that sort of size of casing? Any very fine wires inside there to be aware of before unscrewing it all? All I can see at the moment is 9 wires in and 8 pins and shroud at the other end Hopefully the intermittent problem is that end and not the mic end.

Reply to
N_Cook
10 wires in , not 9 Simple Tx inside but no mu-metal cladding, 48R//1120R and no fine wires. 15 seconds of soldering iron on the internal screws holding the connector section, to break threadlock. By the time I got inside 2 of the wires had dropped away,unseen, from the solder points on the connector, wires twisted up like guitar control failure. So will have to work out where the blue and white wires would have gone to. Cannot find a schematic out there
Reply to
N_Cook

Anyone any idea what the 555 in the ps is for? The HT seems to be from 50 Hz mains secondary boosted by diode pump. 555 seems to be associated with the cardio-omni select function.

Reply to
N_Cook

You mena a valve as in a glass state amplifying device commonly known as a tube statesside ? Hmm. Interesting.

Got a camera ? Throw some pictures up of this thing.

Tell you this, this is probably the most f***ed up reverse engineering you' ll ever do.

If you aren;t all that familoiar with these things there is a writeup here :

I didn't read the whole thing, I just wanted somwthing on the dual pattern feature. Apparently they use more than one set of electrodes or whole two m ike elements with a reflector. If it has a tube in it, if they went to all that expense then it is proibably the more expensive type, unless of course it is from 1963 or whatever.

One thing is for sure, it might be a bitch but if it has a tube (valve) in it, that it going to likely have three wires coming out of it, not pins. Th ey are easy to break.

On this page :

Look at the first one on the left in the first picture shows up. That is li kely what you'll find in there.

Question : Does this power supply plug in the wall or just ruibn off 48 V p ower from an XLR connector ? Those little tubes do not pull all that much p ower. If the whole shebang runs on 48 V, you can probably current limit a p ower supply to the point where it is impossible to blow anything and then t ry connecting things. But I would higghlt suggest first being absolutely su r of which pins run the filament. THAT Is the most damagable thing in there and getting that valve/tube will be be very hard and not easy to install e ither. If you cna find out the ratings of the tube/valve, find out the curr ent draw of the filament and make sure your source will not suppply more. I f it runs off 48 V, it might be as easy as a resistor.

Like I said, this is liable to be the most f***ed up reverse engineering yo u ever did.

Reply to
jurb6006

OOPS, a triode will have four wires. Minimum.

Reply to
jurb6006

power from an XLR connector ? Those little tubes do not pull all that much power.

** See pic of Z5600A as supplied in case with PSU.

8.jpg

The PSU supplies several regulated voltages: low voltage DC for the 12AX7 t ube heaters and high voltage DC for the plates PLUS a variable DC voltage t o polarise the capsule's two diaphragms in various ways to get many differe nt polar patterns. Figure-8, omni, cardioid plus in between settings.

All this comes via an 8 core lead and connectors which also carry the audio output.

While I have not examined this particular mic, I have seen many just like i t.

Such mics are very versatile and can be used for almost any sound source in a studio or other INDOOR recording space. They are vulnerable to wind and moisture plus sudden changes in temperature that can cause condensation.

The output level is many times higher than with dynamic mics while self noi se is usually very low.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

The 555 must be for the 15 seconds time-delay hold-off before click over of the relay and the LED flashing for that 15 seconds, so no nasty oscillator during use proper . Looks like blue is pin 3 and white is frame ground of the interlinked pins 4 and 7

192V supply is pin1 , brown, invariant with change of cardio-omni setting, without the mic pcb connected anyway. p2 yellow,p5 blak,p6 green, shroud and centre pin not connected to cable . Next stage to solder back the cable connector into the mic housing and power up the mic , see if it works , and what changes, if a DC line, with cardio-omni setting.
Reply to
N_Cook

Have to take the Tx and connector apart again. The yellow , heater supply , wire seems to have a break in it. 6.7V (no load) supply is in the cable but no heater glow.

Reply to
N_Cook

Back working as a mic. Heater 6.4V dc on load, HT 188 to 190V on load. Blue line varies on pattern type from -0.04V at O, mid of cardio +.011 then next switch steps +27V,54V,82V up to 110V on full bi-direction

Reply to
N_Cook