SD Write Protected

I have a 32G SD card that has files on it and I want to erase or quick format; however, when I try it says write protected. So I looked at the SD card and I do not see a switch to change protection. Maybe it fell off or??? There is a slot where I would expect to see a switch. Is there a way to override the mechanical switch on the side of the SD card? On Windows XP Pro.

OldGuy

The mechanical switch isn't the only way to write-protect an SD card. It might be possible to erase with special software, though... Look at for more information

Reply to
whit3rd

Yeah, I've had this happen.

Short answer: just cover the switch slot with some tape.

The actual switch itself is part of the reader slot... it just senses whether there's anything "blocking" the area where the little plastic slider on the card would be, if it's moved to the "unlocked" position. So, cover this area with tape, the switch in the reader will sense it as if it were the slitch slider, and will unlock the card.

Dave Platt

So it's no different than the write protect on floppy disks.

ON 8" and 5.25", it was a slot that had to be covered with tape to write protect. ON 3.5" floppies, there was a slide, but again, it just blocked the hole so the sensor couldn't see light through it and thus the drive couldn't write to the floppy. ANd I may have gotten that in reverse, I can't remember whether the 3.5" were protected with the hole open, or closed.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

OldGuy pretended :

Tape worked. Used two layers for sure-ity.

BTW I use recycled tape from the lunch sandwich. Good sandwich too! Win Win!

OldGuy