Scratchy volume control.

But it makes a great flame thrower. I think the propellant has something to do with that.

Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

** The propellant is CO2

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

WD-40 is a CLEANER - for mechanical movements only, not electronics. As such, it should be followed up with a proper lubricant in door hinges, latches, or anything else it has been used to free up around the home or business.

For electronics, use electronics cleaner. That's why it's called 'electronics cleaner/spray'.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

** It's a lubricant too - says so right on the can, f*****ad.

- for mechanical

** Correct it is no use on capacitors, transistors or ICs.

Wot a moron !!!!!

Redundant bullshit sniped.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Have you ever read the specs for WD40?

Most cleaners clean things that are 'not on the tin'.

--
Ian
Reply to

Used to have propane. I used it on tent worms. Now very hard to ignite.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

** The propellant was changed to CO2 about 20 year ago.

** The liquid is still highly lethal to cockroaches.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Definitely t hat's the easiest and likely to make it work for a while. I just left on a trip and the radio that was supposed to play to make it sound like I was home had t he no-play problem, but twiddling the volume a bit made it good enough to last until I get home, probably, since no one will be moving it.

Reply to
micky

I fixed it by flushing the area around the volume wheel with isoPropanol. The wheel is slightly harder to turn though this might improve as remaining traces of solvent evaporate.

Reply to
Peter Jason

It won't. You've flushed all the lubrication out of it.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

....er, what can I use as a replacement lubricant?

Reply to
Peter Jason

What we told you to use to begin with.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Thanks, I'll find some & report back.

Reply to
Peter Jason

Petroleum jelly is usable as a lube for electrical things.

Ignore Phil, he's strange.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

tabb.. the Troll puked:

** How fascinating.

FYI, Mr NT, Peter Jason has been a notorious troll and resident quarter wit on aus.legal for more than 10 years.

** At your peril.

** NT is completely demented, he thinks he thinks.

Like most of the autistic fools infesting usenet.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

While true, the nature of the material is such that it is very hard not to use too much. After which, it is impervious to most of the solvents already discussed here. After which it is hard to deliver exactly where it may be needed.

However, if all of the above problems are solved, it is stable, non-volatile, does not harden over time, oxidizes extremely slowly (years) and so forth.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

I don't know if it's still around, but in the old days we used to be able t o buy a silicone solution to refill the eject pistons in cassette players. You can also use Vaseline. To do so though means taking the control out, taking it apart, and lightly covering all moving surfaces.

Back in the late 70s, I was working on a Sony Trinitron that had no color - zip. I got out the old Sams and traced the lost chroma to the color contro l. It was arranged like a volume control. No matter how the control was m anipulated, there was no sign of color. Throwing a jumper across it restor ed the chroma. For Shits & Giggles, I flushed the control with Tun'O Lube ( a clear, oiless cleaner for degreasing tuners without pissing off the neutr alizing trim in RCA mechanical tuners). To my surprise, the color popped b ack and adjusted normally throughout the range. The only problem was that I had washed out the spooze that Sony filled their controls with to make th em feel like they were of high quality and had a heft and weight to them. The customer returned the TV a couple of days later because he didn't like how the control had craploads of endplay and almost no drag as it was rotat ed. We ordered a new control from Sony to make the guy happy.

Reply to
John-Del

I have a built-in cassette player in my 1998 car. The player froze up long ago and given all the advice here it may be possible to resurrect it. Do these devices have rubber pulleys?

Reply to
Peter Jason

Cassette players use 'rubber' belts and 'tires' for various mechanical drive sections. Most of these parts can probably be found, but it will take some hunting... In many cases the old rubber-like compound has turned to goo and first needs to be cleaned out. Then take out your calipers/micrometer and start measuring! To figure out the size of the belt (square, flat, or round) use a piece of string to work that out. Measurement is usually IC (Inside Circumference) of the circle size of the measured string. Allow a fudge factor and get at least one size smaller and one size larger than you think you need to save time.

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
          (604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

I've never had that problem.

it doesn't flow like oil, but it's easily moved by squeezing, so will get in there albeit slower. It may suffice.

not only is it long term stable, but unlike most lubes it doesn't break down into corrosive substances when electrified.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr