Scratchy volume control.

I have one of these......

The volume control wheel (at the side) has lost all fine-tuning capability, and makes appalling noises when operated as it jumps at random from high to low volume.

Is there a fix; is it a loose connection, dust or grit in the works? Should I just flush it out.

Otherwise the radio works well.

Reply to
Peter Jason

There are a number of good professional spray products for fixing bad volume controls. I use M G Products Nu-Trol and my customers are happy with the results. Use a spray that is specifically for volume controls as the composition of the sprays varies from ones for switches, etc..

Do NOT use WD-40!!!!!(and on!!! and on!!!)

John :-#)#

                      John's Jukes Ltd.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Robertson

** Same composition as WD-40 at *many times* the price.

** Wot a bloody lunatic.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Thanks, I'll check out the local radio shop.

Reply to
Peter Jason

I use Faderlube by Caig.

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Fox's Mercantile

Sometimes all one need to is twiddle the control back & forth a dozen or 2 times. Sometimes it also needs some cleaner sprayed into the pot. Sometimes that doesn't fix it & it needs its terminals resoldering.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

and rarely the track is worn out.

Reply to
tabbypurr

Generallly, it comes from a bas contact between the cursor aand the resistive track (dust or oxyde). It can also come from a miscontact between this track and the connecting pad or a "dry solder". First step : re-solder everything. Second step : use some KF or equivalent in large quantity inside (through the opening of the leads).

Reply to
Look165

Peter-

You have a number of good suggestions above.

While you in the radio, check to see if there is a capacitor coupling to the volume control. It is possible that a leaky coupling capacitor is causing a DC current to flow in the volume control. Such a current can cause any "scratchiness" to be made worse.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie

I feel that the horrors of WD40 are greatly exaggerated. Since I lost my tube of 'the real thing' (about 40 years ago) I've occasionally used WD40 as a switch and volume control cleaner - and I've never had a problem with it.

--
Ian
Reply to

Ian Jackson wrote :

** The name is WD40 - not WMD40.

** Nor has anyone else.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Twit:

Please note on the description: "Moderate Evaporation", and then try to learn something not covered by your closely held beliefs. Or are you one of those who wishes to have it both ways?

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

** Vile troll.

** Please do the planet a favour - go top yourself.

Autistic nut cases like are no use to anyone.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Are you in the correct NG? Are you lost?

Reply to
Peter Jason

Would finely-powdered graphite work in this case. Like the type used for door locks?

Reply to
Peter Jason

** You are obviously lost AND on the wrong NG.

Smart arsed s**ts like you are a dime a dozen you know.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** Yeah - go ahead use plenty of it.

It can only be good for electronics.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Graphite is a rather good conductor. Not an ideal material for the purpose.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33

No.

  1. It does not remove the gunk causing bad contact
  2. It tends to short the resistance in use
  3. It tends to create a short from track to case, which sometimes would be a problem.

It was sometimes used in the 1940s on pot tracks that had worn away, but that is not likely to be the problem, and certainly was not used by pouring powder in, and was at best a temporary bodge.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Imagine if our Tourette's Twit from Australia were to engage in its little fits face-to-face with its neighbors, acquaintances and customers?

Dubious that it would still be alive, much less at liberty.

I have often thought about asking a friend of mine who travels throughout the Down Under on a regular basis to see if he can get a picture of Mr. Allison - just for giggles. He is an ordained minister, so no threat.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
peterwieck33