SATA-to-USB Adapter

I have one that works fine with a 500 GB hard drive, but will not work at all with a DVD burner I just got. Another SATA-USB adapter runs it just fine.

So is the first one "for hard drives only", or is it defective?

Isaac

Reply to
isw

What do the user instructions say? Did you visit the manufacturer's website for additional information on the product? Are you trying to adapt an eSATA to external USB drive or visa versa ?

Meat Plow

It's probably a device driver issue. If it has never worked for you than it is a setup issue, not a repair issue.

Try posting to an approrpiate newsgroup. If there's software involved, a good place to start would be with a newsgroup for the particular operating system you use.

Hint: driver advice for linux or mac won't help you if you run windows, advice for windows version 7 won't help you if you run windows xp,

98, etc.

Also, in the history of computing, believe it or not, there's been more than one SATA-USB adapter sold. Why do you think knowing the maker and model wouldn't be useful information?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

There are none.

product?

There are no markings on the board (it was inside a case before I pulled it out).

My ATA disc burner died. I could not find another ATA drive, so I got a SATA. The SATA to USB card has been working just fine just fine on a 500 GB hard drive. When I stick it on the DVD burner, I can open and close the tray from the Mac, but the burn software always reports that there is an "unreadable" CD-RW in the drive, no matter what is actually in there. When I stick a disc in, the laser traverses a few times, but that's all that ever happens.

It's probably an older adapter, so I was wondering if it might not be able to handle a burner.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

As I already said:

The adapter works fine with a different drive (a standard hard drive, not an optical one).

The new DVD burner works fine with a different SATA-USB adapter.

No software is involved.

Well, that's sort of stating the obvious. Of course, often *nothing* will help you if you run Windows.

Well, it might. If the card had happened to have anything like that on it, I would have mentioned it. Sadly, it did not.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

Both irrelevent.

Has the adapter in question *ever* worked with an optical drive? I don't care if it works with hard drives. I don't care if optical drives have worked with other adapters.

If not, it is most likely a setup issue or design issue. How the the hell can you say it is in need of repair if you've never seen it work?

Bullshit. Do you even know what software is? My god, how can anybody be this stupid.

Well, what the hell are you running? You've managed a mild whine about windows. Are you using windows? What version? Linux? What distribution? What version? Ditto for mac, bsd, solaris... what the f*ck are you running?!??

What the hell are you babbling about? You're saying there's no chipset on the card at all? That's amazing! No software. Now, it's doesn't have hardware either. wow! NO maker. No model. Too bad you didn't mention what operating system you run; you could have been told how to query the the USB bus and find out via a simple software query. Oh, wait a minute. It one of those magic devices that has no software, not even a single byte of firmware.

You continue the stunning behavior of not posting what make and model you're talking about. You continue the stunning stupdity of believing that all usb-sata adapters are identical. You can't be helped. You're simply too stupid.

I'm through with you. Go bank your head against a wall. It is all you are capable.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

The OP thinks that the adapter should be compatible with any device that follows the ATA / ATAPI command set. Obviously there are some commands issued by the software that are not being interpreted properly by the adapter and then sent on to the optical device. These commands may be outside the list of interpretable commands that particular adapter recognizes. That's not too hard to vision knowing the ATA/ATAPI command set was outlined and implemented before optical storage on DVD media.

I tend to agree with the OP. It should work. But that doesn't mean it will.

Meat Plow