Sanyo microwave oven EM-S1057

I have a faulty Sanyo microwave oven EM-S1057, whereby the tray rotates and= the bulb lights up but there is no heat produced. With the help of repair= faq site I managed to trace the faulty to a shorted magnetron. The magnetro= n is of the Galanz type part number M24FB-210A and it is available online.

However I am a little reluctant to replace the magnetron since I am afraid= other components might be faulty and the repair cost would not be feasible= .

Is it safe to check the voltages of the high voltage transformer with the = magnetron unplugged? =20 Thanks in advance.

Vernon

Reply to
vernondopaul

online.

feasible.

I think the transformer needs a load.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

online.

feasible.

And at ca. 4.1 KV one would need a HV divider probe.

It would be trivially easy to kill yourself doing this.

(Just an observation.)

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

online.

feasible.

Is there a way of checking the transformer?

Reply to
vernondopaul

Basically - power it up with no load, if it doesn't blow the fuse, there's a high probability its OK.

Don't attempt to draw sparks from the HV terminal - I heard about an apprentice doing that, the screwdriver he used had a crack in the handle, and when his boss returned from the van with parts - he was laying on the floor dead.

A S/C magnetron could have caused the rectifier to also fail S/C, a lesser possibility is failure of the doubler capacitor. Sometimes there's a surge supressor - looks similar to the rectifier, but has 2 diode symbols k to k one big one smal - that can also fail S/C.

In over 2 decades I've never bought a microwave, very often its worth rescuing units put out for scrap - if by any chance the don't work, they're still a handy source of spares.

Reply to
Ian Field

the bulb lights up but there is no heat produced. With the help of repairfaq site I managed to trace the faulty to a shorted magnetron. The magnetron is of the Galanz type part number M24FB-210A and it is available online.

other components might be faulty and the repair cost would not be feasible.

magnetron unplugged?

If you don't have the correct high voltage probe, the short answer is no.

The part that will mess you up in a microwave oven is the filter cap. It seems they all have bleed resistors across the terminals these days, but we're still talking made in China, so you need to short out the cap anyways.

If you're not ready to short out a 2kV 1uF cap or whatever it is, just toss the microwave and get another.

Even if the magnetron took out the high voltage rectifier, you still want to short out that cap before you replace that.

Microwaves these days are all sharp and nasty inside, they're like grabbing at razor wire. yuck.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader