Sansa MP3 player question

I have been using different variations of the Sansa Clip mp3 players for several years. Sansa explicitly says that of those players that accept a micro SD card, the maximum size of the card is 32GB. However, all the players I have bought will, in fact, accept and address 64GB when these devices are new.

In my experience the lifetime of Sansa players is only a couple of years. The first thing that fails is the clip attachment. Shortly after the clip fails something happens to the the circuitry that recognizes the SD card. I thought the devices lost the ability to see the SD card. I now find that those devices will still recognize a 32GB card after once having been able to recognize a 64GB. In other words, it seems that the high address bit of the circuitry fails in a way that Sansa knows it will happen so they only advertise a 32GB capacity.

Does this seem in any way reasonable?

Reply to
root

I've read that one limitation is that the firmware puts a limit on the number of songs. I've wondered whether that means there is an absolute limit, or if you keep file names short, you get more songs.

The device came out quite some time ago. I suspect it predates larger memory cards, so they may have never thought they'd get so large.

I have a Sansa Fuze, the clip never broke off because there was no clip. And I think maybe it specified some smaller memory card, maybe 16gig but maybe smaller, simply because there was nothing larger in site when it was released. Whether or not it can handle more is another question.

I have a 32gig and all seems fine.

One thing you might have checked was whether the player saw 64gig or just

32gig, from the start. It is possible they haven't got the extra bit. The card works, but you never see the extra memory. That's speculation. I have no idea why the larger cards stop working

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Thanks for responding. I did check the older devices and they did see 64G from the start, at least those that I tried.

Reply to
root

Could it be that you added/replaced songs when it started to fail? Maybe it cannot read beyond 32gb data area and fails when some data falls outside that area.

Reply to
Jeroni Paul

Ten years ago, Sandisk was showing such promise as the 'iPod killer' with their Sansa portable players. So where did they fall flat?

With product reliability, and total absence of anything resembling customer service/user support. Their designs were physically sturdy, compact, and straight- forward to use. Video-out, actual five- band equalizers, and even FM tuners were giving Apple and others a run for their money - until you put your device, like the Sansa View, into Shuffle mode while playing music.

On-screen art & info lagged behind the song playing, the controls would freeze, and sometimes the music would just stop playing for up to a minute at a time. Such was my experience with the 16Gb View I had back in 2008.

If they had functioned as effortlessly and as reliably as Apple's or Samsung's devices, I might never have bought all these iPods! Maybe just iPhone.

Reply to
thekmanrocks

I've never had a problem with my Sansa Fuze, except there was some sort of covering, plastic or something, and that's coming off.

WOrd is that MP3 players died because people decided they'd rather have smartphones or something else that did MP3s along with a bunch of other things. The Sansa were MP3 players only. They've disappeared, as well as others, if I see an MP3 player in a flyer, it's a low end generic player.

The same word says that low end digital cameras have faded too, people wanting that get it in their smartphone or tablet. You can still get digital cameras, but they are more expensive, offering better specs. The cheapest ones have disappeared.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Black

Michael Black:

Admittedly, most of the problems I described happened with their View, not the contemporary Clip or later Fuze. They just didn't Q.C. the thing sufficiently - if at all - before product launch.

Reply to
thekmanrocks