Ryobi Cordless Drill Charger

I saw a Ryobi tool case thrown out during the city's special pickup last Friday night. It was hefty, so I took it home.

When I finally opened it up today, I found a Ryobi HP62 6.0 volt cordless drill inside. It looked absolutely brand new. I mean, really, it looks as if it has never been used at all. All the bits save one were there. I figured, "let's charge it up." That's when I noticed that the wall wart in the drill case was from an AT&T answering machine or cordless phone. The AT&T charger has a 9vac output. Hmmmm, I wonder if that's why the drill got thrown out.

After some searching, I found a Canon 6 vdc, 300 ma charger, probably from an inkjet printer, that charges the battery pack, but not any too fast.

The proper charger for the Ryobi is a Ryobi-Ridgid part 7221001. I don't know what its output voltage or current is. If anyone has one of these chargers lying around, I'd like to know the specs on it. I'm sure that in my massive collection of wall warts I have one that's close enough.

Thanks.

Reply to
Beloved Leader

Here's what I do:

Put a moving coil milliammeter (multimeter) in series with an adjustable wall wart. Set the polarity for the highest current on the lowest voltage setting, then up the voltage until the current is what I consider reasonable. Let it charge overnight, adjusting the volts up as needed. Generally this will give you a full charge and will give you an idea as to what voltage charger to use.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Sounds like it would make for a long, sleepless night.

Given the OP's implied level of experience, advising him to "up the voltage until the current is what I consider reasonable" is about as useful to him in his situation as a sack of hammers.

Unless he buys your book "Reasonable currents for all situations, Vol. 3,

2006 (Ed.)".
Reply to
Dave

I cross-posted your request to a few woodworking and home-repair groups. Maybe someone who has a Ryobi 6-volt drill can look at the "brick" and give you the specs off it.

Good luck,

--
John English
Reply to

NiCD batteries are pretty forgiving. What I would do is use a 12V or so wall wart and put a resistor in series if necessary to limit the current. IIRC if you take the ma/hr rating of the cells and divide by 10, you get approximately the charge current you want. It's not too critical though, slower charge is easier on the batteries but takes longer.

Reply to
James Sweet

It's a practical method. Failing that, he needs to buy the right charger.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

John E. wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.sf.sbcglobal.net:

Ryobi's use a really simple charger,just a wall-wart with a diode rectifier,I suspect.The transformer probably limits the charging current itself. Ryobi's are the cheapest cordless drill/drivers around.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

snipped:

- - - - - - - -

Not the only one, I suspect thata Skill and Black and Decker may share that title too. Daniel Sofie Electronics Supply & Repair

Reply to
Sofie

John E. wrote: [quoting me]

[end quoting me]

Great. Thanks for that.

Reply to
Beloved Leader

I know what you mean, the smart-ass in me had to reply to your post. My first attempt which I did not send advised him to phone Ryobi and get either the info or the location of a store where he could buy the proper charger.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

I've been given or purchased cheap many an item missing its charger. This is the method I use. I usually aim for 1 or 2 hundred mA of charge current.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Before posting at s.e.r., I Googled for the item. It is sold at a few online tool dealers. None of the few links I checked gave a view of the charger, and none had any details regarding output current. I figure if I called Ryobi, the person answering the phone would know only how much extra the shipping would cost, and how to take credit card information. Home Depot is a five-mile drive. The person there would liklley not know how to read the information on the charger. Thus it seemed logical to ask here, in the belief that someone at s.e.r. actually owned one of these drills and could quickly provide the answer.

Reply to
Beloved Leader

So, you've never seen a Coleman? They get my vote for the worst ever made.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

There is a six volt Ryobi drill/W charger on Ebay right now.

If its the same tool, email the seller to ask the seller what the charger is rated at. I don't have an Ebay account, so I can't contact the seller.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net:

I wouldn't even know where to buy a Coleman. ;-)

a Coleman camping lantern;yes,drill/driver;no.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

really,

too

of

A quick Google search for the HP62 gives the parts listing

and reveals the correct charger part number is 7224301. A search on the M&D Mowers website
for this part shows that it is 9V @ 200mA and costs $4.38.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

I didn't buy them, they were given to me. Shoddy workmanship, and low quality, even for China. I got two drills, a case, a flashlight, a buffer, seven 18 V batteries and six chargers. One drill had a wire to the trigger than had never ben shoved into the slot, and the other had the shaft that held the chuck sheared off.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Ryobi Tradeline (Japanese Ryobi) tools used to be the best value for money power tools around - that is until Techtronic Industries in China bought the Ryobi power tools business which supplies US/Europe/Australasia from Ryobi in Japan. When Ryobi power tools started coming from the China factories of TTI their quality went down the tube.

LOok at the brands now owned by TTI here and weep.

Note that TTI also manufacture power tools for many other brands so it is possible that they even make for Coleman.

If you have any of the old original manufacturer items with the TTI brands then it might pay to fix them rather than buy a new replacement of the same brand.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

Yeaaaaay! A Google Expert steps forward!

--
Al, the usual
Reply to

Sorry Jim, I didn't mean to snip your post and then attribute my comments to you.

Ross

down

it

replacement