Ricoh Video Camera Recorder - Really a Sony?

In the early 1990s, I bought this Ricoh R-830 Video Camera Recorder, and the salesperson said that it was actually made by Sony, but with a different (and better) lens.

It's had such little use that it's not easy to tell it from new by looking at it.

I'm hoping someone can cross-reference to the closest Sony number for me, or tell me how I can find this out.

I'd like to tear into this thing and find out why it's not working, and would feel better if I had a Sony number to hang on it.

When pressed, a couple of years ago, the folks at Ricoh simply say, "We don't sell video cameras." End of story. I couldn't even get them to admit that they had ever sold them.

So, anybody able to cross-reference?

--
Thanks,
tbl

Well I still stand by my comments on alt.home.repair. If you send me a pic of the camera I might be able to come close. Is it stereo, nightshot or what ever that was called? I have manuals for the CCD-V9, V50, TR78,88,98,99,514,590,... Even if you have the manual you'll need special test jigs and tools eg. J-6092-311-A Test pin tool for the VC-167 board. If it fails certain tests you replace the whole board. When I've repaired these I've just used an ESR meter, multimeter magnifing glass and 20W soldering iron with modified heads and dimmer control. I was a camera tech for years and we'd never replace at the component level only at the board level. It wasn't cost effective. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

Still with me?! Thanks! I'll send a scanned image from the user's manual, as the unit itself is now in pieces. Is that your correct addy in the headers?

Well, I'm going much more primitive than that... I'm unemployed, and savings are depleting fast. I don't have much in the way of test equipment, so I'm going to throw the new cap's in, slap it together, and look for smoke. If it works at all, I might consider getting a local shop to do any necessary adjustments, but no way would I spring for a complete repair job. I can well imagine how this would frighten/irritate a competent repair tech, but there's just no real money right now for this. If it doesn't work, I'll probably just donate it to the local shop--I'll bet they don't often get one with *all* the doc's and goodies!

If you're still on board...

My knowledge of cap's is, well, practically nothing! But after some reading, I've pretty well deduced that the three badies are all the same: 10v, 220mfd, series M (85C). I'm wondering if I should put that exact spec in for replacements, or go with 105C? I see some small differences in the spec's, but it looks to this ignoramous like they might work, and last longer than the 85Cs. I ordered both from DigiKey this morning.

I can sure see why a tech wouldn't want to do comp replacement for casual users, I can see the red ink already!

--
Thanks,
tbl

Chances are it really is a Sony, but with the SAME Lens. The only difference is the nameplate and model number on the outside.

Reply to
Jumpster Jiver

And if it's not working, the first place to look are the surface mount electrolytic capacitors. If you open the tape door and sniff it and smell a fishy odor that's it for sure.

Reply to
James Sweet

Hi I have recently purchased a Richo video camera recorder model R-800H. It works, but I don't have the user manual. I wondered if you have a manual for yours and if I could have a look at it so I know how to run mine properly. I think I can figure it out, but it has so many do-dads that I don't want to screw it up. I tried writing to the company, but haven't received any word yet??

Anybody have a Ricoh manual I could beg, borrow or buy?? Please write to me at: RR 3 Tara, Ontario, Canada N0H 2N0 or email me with Ricoh in the subject line at snipped-for-privacy@netscape.ca

Thanks Don Levesque

--
Don Levesque