Revive Gel Battery?

Inherited an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) that was unused for a while so the gel battery is fully discharged.

Do not want to purchase a new gel battery so am interested in trying to revive it.

Did a search and found Battery Life Saver Patent #7374839

Patent PDF

found discussion of Battery Life Saver

Am interested in any experience others have had in reviving gel batteries either using Battery Life Saver or any other technique.

Ken

Reply to
KenO

the gel battery is fully discharged.

it.

either using Battery Life Saver or any other technique.

I built a computer controlled charger/discharger. And I have a pulse generator that can put out an amp or 50V. I've done considerable experimentation with recovering many different battery technologies.

Bottom line: Give it up.

While I believe that a pulse charger/desulfator can help prevent deterioration on a good battery that's rarely used...boat...RV,

Once the battery has been dead for a long time, it ain't coming back.

A UPS is one of the most stressful applications for a battery. A tiny amount of series resistance will render it useless in that application.

My UPS battery isn't completely dead, but it can keep my system up for 15 seconds or so. Since the typical outage is less than a second, it's not worth replacing the battery. Outages longer than a second are likely to be longer than any ups can handle. But might give you a chance to shut down the system gracefully.

For most of us, a UPS is overrated. If you really need it, spring for a new battery. If not, send it to recycle.

Reply to
mike

Mike,

Thanks for your comments. Since posting have been reading reviving battery posts on other forums and most are similar to yours.

Ken

Reply to
KenO

Mike,

"I've done considerable experimentation with recovering many different battery technologies....While I believe that a pulse charger/desulfator can help prevent deterioration on a good battery that's rarely used...boat...RV,Once the battery has been dead for a long time, it ain't coming back..."

Have you posted your experiments?

Am especially interested in "pulse charger/desulfator can help prevent deterioration on a good battery that's rarely used"

Thanks again for your comments!

Ken

Reply to
KenO

technologies....While I believe that a pulse charger/desulfator can help prevent

battery has been dead for a long time, it ain't coming back..."

There's lots written on the subject, mostly by people who want to sell you something. I don't think there's any consensus on what works. The consensus seems to be that none of them work. I don't understand the chemistry, but it appears that the sulphate forms an insulating layer on the plate surface. Once it's there, it's hard to get removed. But if you don't let it form, it's not a problem. Pulse charging gives you that peak current to keep the thing charged without boiling away the electrolyte.

Reply to
mike